valves under the sink

chip50

Member II
i have 2 valves,,,gate valves but dont know where they go..... i had the boat hauled power washed and scrapped awhile back... there were no holes on the outside that led to the inside whic means no thru hull outlet....the valves go thru the hull inside but not thru the bottom that i could find....does anyone know what they could be for....this is an ericson 25....also the kitchen sink and ice box may drain into these valves havent tried putting water in the sink yet.....thanks in advance......chip:confused:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Thru Hulls

Chip- I think if you look closer or take some water and dump it in your sink you will find the tru hull on the bottom of your boat. My naked eye struggled to see the one on my boat till I did the water test and I found it. My ice box drains into the bilge. I dont know what the other gate valve would be for??? All that I use the icebox for is storage now. You just waste ice by putting it in there. 20lbs of ice will not last 4 hours in 75* to 80* days. I use a 36 qt Igloo that fits perfectly right up against the starboard settee and the raised area in the center for the board. Rob

Last edited:

BrianP

Member II
valves

I know on my e27 one is for the sink and the other is the raw water intake. I have had no problems with the ice box, installed insulation and use block ice not cubed lasts 8 + hrs

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Wow!

In my 34, the icebox is not insulated. In So. Cal. Summers, 80 lbs of cubed ice leaves enough room for food and beverages for 6 people (including lots of beer) and the ice will last 4-5 days. In the winter, it lasts a week. I don't use block ice, because it takes too much room and isn't as malleable.

I'm surprised yours melts so fast!

chip50

Member II
thanks for the in fo

i will dye some warm water and pour it down the sink....my boat is in the water and it show when it surfaces,,,,i really looked and i never saw a hole for it when the boat was hauled out and cleaned....thanks for the info :0305_alar

Howard Keiper

The hole issue will be resolved easily, no doubt. And, if I were you, here's how I would attempt to correct the ice box problem...it worked on my E35 II.
See if you can determine what is actually behind the box...dead space or structure. Dead space can be filled with that kind of insulating foam stuff that comes in an aerosol can and expands to fill voids. You can tap the insides of your box with your fingernail to see if you can find the most judicious places to drill holes for injecting the foam. That stuff really expands, so try to place the holes so as to fill the voids but not deform the walls from said expansion. You should insulate the lid with an inch or so of styrofoam.
Insulation makes all the difference in the world.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

Cruzzor

Steve B. - Santa Cruz
E-25 Galley Drains

My E-25 (1976) has the icebox drain into the bilge, but the sink goes through a valve and out through the hull, I imagine yours is the same it's just hard to find.

By the way, the water is so cold here in beautiful Monterey Bay that even in summer things in the icebox stay pretty cool even with no ice!

chip50

Member II
valves under sink

i was wondering that if the ice box drains into the bilge,,,how could you get the sink to drain ...outside through a valve...im trying to figure out that if there is pressure from sea water at the valve,,,,how could the drain ..drain out....i have figured out that the valve under the sink fills the head with sea water,,,,but the sink is filled with water from a fresh water tank, i would think that the sink would have fairly nasty water in it,,, i woulnt think that it would drain to the inside of the boat? but i am learning alot from the people on this site....thanks....chip:0305_alar

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Water

Chip- You have a water storage tank for the sink. I think it is 11 gallons. You most likely will need to flush out all the old water out and clean the tank with some bleach. This is a very easy task to do. After you have done that. You use various water treatment chemicals to maintain the quality of the water. I don't drink this water and only use it for washing things. I find bottled water just to convienant and easy to store, my choice.
About the water draining out the thruhull why? I'm not a hydro engineer nor do I understand why the pressure will allow it to drain. But it just does and that is good enough for me. I'm sure there is a simple quantitive theorum to mathematically explain, taught to us in 10th grade, but I must have skipped that class day BOL. Rob Hessenius

Emerald

i was wondering that if the ice box drains into the bilge,,,how could you get the sink to drain ...outside through a valve...im trying to figure out that if there is pressure from sea water at the valve,,,,how could the drain ..drain out...

Hi Chip,

it's all got do with the water line relative to the sink bottom. If the bottom of the sink is higher than the water line, the water will drain down to the water line level in the drain hose. Hope I said that clearly. The drain hose will always have water in it up to the water line of the boat. Since this drain line doesn't leak out the sides, as you add more water from draining the sink, it stays at the same level in the line. Now, things that change this are heeling - relative position of the waterline on the drain line will change depending if it is on the windward or lee side of the boat as she heels. This is where you get into the scenario of suddenly finding water in a sink or head that shouldn't have water back up in it, and why many of us keep these thru-hulls closed when not in use. Flaten the boat back out, and away the water goes.

Hope this helps - much easier to say this stuff in person with a dark 'n stormy in hand than trying to write it. :egrin: