Vacuum blew a fuse?

JPS27

Member III
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to electrical and so I move with extreme caution when it comes to fixing things or i just pay a pro. But today I was using a small vac to clean up -- something I've done 100 times -- and I seem to have blown a fuse on the ac side. No visible breaker at shore or on boat was tripped (shore breaker, switch at my box on boat and my gfci plug). Is there a fuse in the box on the boat that could be blown?

id like to figure this out as there is a cold snap coming and I plan to have a space heater and block heater running.

so in other words...help!!! :0

Jay

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
AFAIK, and I could be wrong, again :) , but only the later E-27 might have had a factory option for an AC panel.
Does your boat have a shore power connection inlet leading to an AC master circuit breaker? And then one or more AC breakers in a small panel?
I recall that vacuums have a pretty high amp draw, like 8 to 10 amps, too.

Do you have some pix of your panel?

Loren

Last edited:

JPS27

Member III
Pics of Panel

Thanks, Loren. Here are a couple of pics. Does this look like the newer set up you were referring to? If so, what might I do next? It did occur to me to make certain I did not fry my powerstrip. Another thing, Yesterday my engine block heater was tripping my gfci outleet for the first time. I have used it for the two winters I've had the boat. On inspection the heater looked corroded on the edges so I ditched it. But i'm thinking these are two different issues.

Jay
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Panel.JPG
    Panel.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 110
  • Panel label.JPG
    Panel label.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 119

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'm confused about the symptoms. The vacuum stopped working? Do other devices work in that same outlet? Are all circuits on the boat off, or only one outlet? If I am seeing that correctly, it looks like you have a main and two branch circuits.

Just a couple of thoughts:
Sometimes when a circuit breaker is tripped, you need to turn it to full "off" then back to "on" to reset it.
There may be "fusible links" in the system somewhere... In the vacuum, in the power cord, etc., that sometimes just get old and break.

JPS27

Member III
breaker problem solved

I'm a bit embarrassed! I did not flip on the two back breakers on the panel. I have never had to. If anything on the boat had ever tripped it was the gfci outlet or the main panel breaker. But the other panel breaker labeled "receptacles" was off and I didn't notice. So what seemed like a larger problem (to me) was simple. So, thanks for the help. I shall go sailing tomorrow!

Jay