V-birth drainage confusion.

McGinnis

Member II
Don't all problems stem when you get another one fixed?

I've been working with the dog on getting him to go "outside" on the fore deck, which he's taken to finally. Unfortunately, I haven't finished wiring and thus haven't finished the anchor locker. The deck lid isn't attached and the pan isn't sealed. All of this makes for a wet v-birth when I rinse the deck off after a yellow river adventure... I soon found out.

I hauled the hose into the v-birth to clean things up below which is pretty easy since it's bare right now. After a bit of hosing out, I peeked into the bilge to see how things were stacking up. Problem: No water was going into the bilge; it was stacking up under the set of drawers in the v-birth!

View attachment 11607

The "flow" seems like it should go all the way through to the bilge but taking a look at the bilge, there's no outlet. Just the shower drain and hose for the bilge pump. I would think that there shouldn't be a way for water to pool up under there.
SAM_0214.jpg

I'm considering glassing up the bulkhead just forward of the water tank up there, making it "waterproof" and then putting in a bilge pump. The PO put in a 3/4" thru hull just below the rub rail which could make for a decent outlet.

Or- Should I do this further forward?

I'm looking at eventually running my anchor rode into the hull and don't really want all the grossness running into the bilge or sitting under the v-birth.

What do y'all think? How does yours drain?

Last edited:

eknebel

Member III
No drinks for the dog!

Is it designed like that so that the shower grey water doesn't get to the main bilge, but gets pumped out by the "shower" bilge pump? My E-30+ is configured that way, isolating the "humanity" that drains from the shower into one compartment. However, my shower bilge is aft of the v berth area, which does not drain anywhere. I have to manually pump it out, which is only a little bit after very heavy rains from the rub rail attachments(I think). I have always thought that it was a way to control flooding in a underwater impact at the bow.
Either put the dog on water rations or get that anchor drain installed quick:)

McGinnis

Member II
It's still able to flow into the main part of the bilge through a 3/4" hole about 2" off the bottom of the bilge.

I like the idea of sealing up forward of the water tank but don't like the idea of water pooling under the v-birth.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Having just gone through a windlass install I went to great pains to make sure that the anchor locker that was created drained overboard on its own accord and was entirely separated from the rest of the boat/bilge. I don't have any suggestions beyond that. Stinky rode/chain in a wet space under the V-berth is what I worked hard to avoid. As little water as possible on the inside of the hull.... RT

McGinnis

Member II
Having just gone through a windlass install I went to great pains to make sure that the anchor locker that was created drained overboard on its own accord and was entirely separated from the rest of the boat/bilge. I don't have any suggestions beyond that. Stinky rode/chain in a wet space under the V-berth is what I worked hard to avoid. As little water as possible on the inside of the hull.... RT

Sounds like a splendid plan to me.

At least now I have a project for tomorrow.:nerd:

dwigle

Member III
38?

You don't say, but it appears that you have a 38. If that's the case, my 38 has that sump sealed so the shower water stays there and you have to switch the bilge pump from the main bilge to the shower and monitor it working the pump switch manually to keep it from overflowing. The only holes in mine are for the shower and the pump hose. Water from the bow area bypasses that bilge through various poorly placed holes in the grid.
Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8
Pt. Richmond, CA

McGinnis

Member II
Interesting...

That seems like a viable move though not too much fun monitoring how full it's getting and running the switch accordingly. I might play around with a bilge switch wired to my water puppy or an automatic pump down in there.

Don- How visible are these poorly places holes? I'm just across the bridge in Vallejo if you have some time to show me your setup.