Used genoa

hinters

Member I
I recently purchased a E-35 IIand am looking for a furling genoa.
Can anyone give me some insight as to what size I should be looking for to cruise the Northwest and Canada's Gulf Islands.
Is the 35 happier with a 150, 140 or what? If any one out there has a suitable genoa in very good to good condition I would be interested in hearing about it.
Thanks, Pat

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Genoa

Generally speaking, a 135 is the best size if you plan on this being your primary sail-with the intention of reefing it to the size you need according to conditions. Here is why: While a 150% would be ideal iin winds under 10 knots, the fabric weight that would be proper for a 150 is too light for frequent use in higher winds while partially furled. Also, the shape will be deeper than a smaller sail (again, for optimum performance in the winds where a 150 would be used), which makes for a pooer shaped reefed sail. A 135 (130-140 really-depending on the boat), which will be all the boat needs in anything over 10 and up to 15-20, will be heavier, and flatter, and better suited to reefing for the heavier winds. We need to know WHICH 35 you have: The old Alberg, the "classic" 35-2 from the 70's, or one of the newer ones (35-3).
With that info I can give you more specific advice. A used sail, unless it was from the same kind of boat, will likely have to be altered/recut. The can be expensive, so be very careful with used sails. Good sailing!

hinters

Member I
Hi Seth
Thanks for the input. It is a 1972 Ericson 35 MK II. I know I need to be careful what sail I end up with. If I can't find a suitable used I will bite the bullet and order a new one. Problem is the season is upon us and I need something soon. I am just now installing a furler and the head sails that came with the boat are toast. We will see what happens. I might have to pretend to be a power boater (ugh) for a while!
Cheers, Pat