Unstepping mast to replace internal wiring?

sailingjk

We have a 1977 Ericson 35 MKII. I'm replacing a worn out Signet wind vane with a Simrad system. I also have to install other devices requiring power. Needless to say, I have to replace internal wiring. I've located where the mast wiring enters the cabin but the cabling won't move. The cables are stiff enough and have enough slack to move but seem frozen in place. From what I can see thus far, I'm going to have to unstep the tabernacle mounted mast to rewire? I'm also wondering if I can get away with securing the mast base then use my clubs hoist to lift the mast a foot off the mast step base plate? I think this may be a bad idea due to how top heavy the mast and keeping it vertical. Any advice is welcome.

John King
Ericson 35 MKII, Free Spirit
San Diego, CA

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I repaired our mast wiring on our E30+ by lifting the mast about 2 feet with our club's hoist, and it worked really well. We could hold the mast in place that way for about a half hour while I worked on the wiring. It's definitely easier than taking the mast down altogether!
Frank

u079721

Contributing Partner
We have a 1977 Ericson 35 MKII. I'm replacing a worn out Signet wind vane with a Simrad system. I also have to install other devices requiring power. Needless to say, I have to replace internal wiring. I've located where the mast wiring enters the cabin but the cabling won't move. The cables are stiff enough and have enough slack to move but seem frozen in place. From what I can see thus far, I'm going to have to unstep the tabernacle mounted mast to rewire? I'm also wondering if I can get away with securing the mast base then use my clubs hoist to lift the mast a foot off the mast step base plate? I think this may be a bad idea due to how top heavy the mast and keeping it vertical. Any advice is welcome.

John King
Ericson 35 MKII, Free Spirit
San Diego, CA

The mast is really only as top heavy as you want it to be if you think about it. When my yard pulled the mast they always used a mid-point that was balanced so they could easily rotate it after removal. But if you only want to raise it a foot, then just use a hoist point that is only a few feet from the masthead. That will keep the mast from moving around down below in the cabin. Just fix a loop around the mast a few feet down, and run a tail down to the top spreaders as a fix point. That way the mast base shouldn't move around much at all.

u079721

Contributing Partner
check that! 35-2 are deck stepped! lifting from the base will be very top heavy!

Huh? I mean, deck stepped or keel stepped, a vertical pole is only top heavy if you pick it up from the bottom - so don't.

Last edited: