Universal overheating

hodo

Member III
My new to me 85 E38 was overheating @2000 rpm. Here is what I found. The boat sat for about a year not being run,so the saltwater in the heat exchanger caked approx. half of it off. The raw water fitting where it dumps into the exhaust riser was closed down to about 1/4 inch hole. There was a bronze back surge valve installed between the engine and wet muffler that had lost the nut holding the rubber seal, and the seal was blown into the fitting, restricting the flow.I also fount rust streaks on the outside of the riser, and after scraping them, found it was rusted from the inside out. The good news is that for a few boat bucks, I should have it repaired by Sunday. I have part # for riser if anyone needs it. By the way, its an aluminum alloy. :cheers:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Would love the part numbers and source. Most replacement parts I have found for the universal have been pricy. Was thinking of goign with the Sherwood raw water pump as it is higher output but the price has kept me away...

hodo

Member III
Universal exhaust kit

The Universal part # for the riser is a 200266. I got it from the area Universal dealer, Gallery Marine. Talk to Barb.She is very helpful, they are good folks. The cost was about $135.00. The part is a Westerbeke part but fits right, and comes with the neede fittings. After installing the riser and discarding the flapper valve, it really pushes water and exhaust out.I plan on a test sail/power run on Saturday. All indications are good for a sucessful repair. I will let you know...... remember , gentlemen never sail to weather. Wonder what that makes me? HODO :cheers:

hodo

Member III
Sucess

Tested out the cooling system on Saturday. Motored to Quartermaster Harbor, relaxed with my ladyfriend, drank a Pete's Wicked Honey Ale, motored back to Tacoma. Engine heat never got above 180 degrees, even at 2600 rpm. I'm ready to go....... HODO :cheers:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Riser

Yeah, I had to replace mine as well after the connecting nipple split, and I discovered the threads were seized. Good news is the boat ran so much cooler afterward (oh, and I replaced the exchanger as well).

//sse