Universal Model and Zincs

My '74 E 35-II had the A-4 replaced with a rebuilt 3 Cyl Universal Diesel in 99. It runs well. The PO has no information about the engine and I am not familiar enough to recognize the model but I want to ID it so I can get a manual, etc. The installation required raising the engine box cover 4".

How can I identify this engine? Where are the engine #s, etc. I'd like to change the zincs and do what I can to keep it running well.

Thanks for your help.
Vern@psiwest.com

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Heat exchanger zincs are pretty generic from what I have seen. Remove the one you have, or the bolt that it was attached to on the end of the heat exchanger. The one on my engine was 3/8 pipe thread. When I went to replace I found pencil diameter xincs attached to 3/8 pipe thread bolts. It was maybe 2 inches long. Had to clean out the opening in the heatexchanger to remove some dissolved zinc to get the new one it. My guess is yours will either be the same size or one smaller, but I would find the plug on the heat exchanger and use it to size the replacement. Obviously you will want the biggest you can easily fit in there. Also if you plan to leave your boat plugged in to AC at the dock for any extended period you will want to inspect this zinc at leat every 3 months as they can wear very quickly in some locations and they are not that big to begin with. Also your engine block is typically bonded to your DC and AC grounds...

u079721

Contributing Partner
Just what Ted said - but just note that while you will easily find the right diameter zinc pencil at West Marine, the length may not be right. I had to trim about 1/2 inch in length off the replacement zinc to get it to fit. So be aware that that could be an issue, and do NOT force it if it doesn't want to go in.