Universal M3-20B coolant recovery

HughHarv

Hugh
Looking for a convenient fix for a coolant recovery tube that has separated itself from the filler neck of the heat exchanger. The fitting is factory crimped to the neck but has worked itself loose and there is no way I can crimp it back tight enough not to leak when the pressure builds.

Torreson's will sell me a new heat exchanger but the engine is new (about 50 hours) and I'm thinking why go to all that trouble. Surely someone has ran into this issue before with their universal and came up with a quick fix? Maybe soldered or brazed a tube in place.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
It sounds like you are talking about the exhaust manifold. This is the little tube that extends out from just under the filler cap? It has a rubber tube that leads to the expansion tank? If so, I think the only way to fix would be to have someone braze it back on.

Do you have any photos of the failure?

It also would not hurt to call Westerbeke directly as they might just send you a new manifold. I have heard of them doing this before for other parts that failed out of warranty.

HughHarv

Hugh
Contacted Westerbeke direct, they said this part was soldered in place. Makes sense now. Thanks for comments.