Universal M12 oil level is increasing due to fuel leak

My 1987 Ericson 26 came with a Universal M 12. During the 3 seasons I've owned her, the motor has run well. Recently I note the significant increase in oil level after motoring for 4 hours. This does not have the milky/ creamy look of water intrusion. Techs tell me the most likely source is the injector fuel pump ( diaphragm) , bad valve seals, bad head gasket, poorly performing injectors, or some combination.

One suggestion was to replace the injector pump with an electric one.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem and solution for same?

How about experience with refitting an electric injector pump?

A new injection pump is at least 2K, so clearly I'm seeking a more reasonable solution if one can be found.

At least the sails seems to be functioning Ok .

Many thanks for any input.

Baslin

Member III
My 1987 Ericson 26 came with a Universal M 12. During the 3 seasons I've owned her, the motor has run well. Recently I note the significant increase in oil level after motoring for 4 hours. This does not have the milky/ creamy look of water intrusion. Techs tell me the most likely source is the injector fuel pump ( diaphragm) , bad valve seals, bad head gasket, poorly performing injectors, or some combination.

One suggestion was to replace the injector pump with an electric one.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem and solution for same?

How about experience with refitting an electric injector pump?

A new injection pump is at least 2K, so clearly I'm seeking a more reasonable solution if one can be found.

At least the sails seems to be functioning Ok .

Many thanks for any input.

Is there excessive smoke when running the engine? Does it seem to run ok? I would say most likely a leaking injector

Is there excessive smoke when running the engine? Does it seem to run ok? I would say most likely a leaking injector

Engine otherwise is running OK with no more than usual light gray smoke upon starting. Compression seems OK but have not yet run a test. Engine temp and oil pressure are OK. Will most certainly have the injectors tested.

Apparently, there is no way to access the core of the injector fuel pump to examine or replace the diaphragm, as this appears to be a sealed unit. Certainly on my list to learn more about rebuilds or the prospects of installing an electric injector pump. This, if less invasive tests don't indicate problems.

I have maintained the motor annually for 3 seasons, and the previous owner, also at my yard, maintained it well form 6 seasons. Before that who knows.
I plan to sail for the remainder of the season, very minimally use the engine ( with fresh oil), and have diagnostics run this winter.
Thank you kindly for your ideas.