Universal M-12 Impeller is stuck!

yodaears

'84 E30+ HN 636
Hey guys. I'm new to Ericsons and the forum. Since there is such great stuff on here I thought I would ask you guys a question. I've been searching for an answer on here and just haven't been able to find one. Here's the problem:

Went to replace the impeller on my M-12 (1988 Ericson 26-300). I was able to get the plate and snap ring off but could not get the impeller to budge off the shaft. I decided to remove the whole shaft and still I could not get the damn thing to move. I've been looking at the diagrams for the pump trying to see if I am missing something painfully obvious but I'm not seeing it. Any ideas what's causing the problem? The impeller looked ok and I made sure not to damage it so I went ahead and realigned the shaft and reinstalled it. Any help would appreciated.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I am not familiar with your particular engine, but some impellers have a small set screw holding them to the shaft. You had mentioned a snap ring, so I can't imagine that they would have both a snap ring and a set screw, but you may still want to check for that. Otherwise, could simple corrosion cause it, or have you applied enough lubricant/force to discount that?

Frank

bayhoss

Member III
I have the same pump on my M12. The only thing that holds the impeller on is the snap ring.

Best,
Frank