Universal Dipstick oil level

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

I have a question about my oil level on the dipstick of my M35A diesel. After changing the oil with one of those suction pumps, I refilled the engine & checked the dipstick. I know you can't always get all of the oil out with these suction devices so it's hard to estimate how much oil is left in the engine when refilling with new oil. Anyway, after the oil change, I filled with new oil & the oil level on the dipstick was at the top mark so I thought this should be good. After starting the engine & running, then letting it sit for 5 minutes, the oil level reads full.

Here's my dilemma - the next day when I go down to the boat to check the oil before starting up, I check the oil & it reads just at the bottom mark (ie add one quart). So I wipe the stick & immediately put it back in to take another measurement - it reads on the full line. Bear in mind I have not started the engine at all at this point.

So in a nutshell - the first reading of the day reads low, and every subsequent reading reads the correct oil level - all with a cold unstarted engine.

Have you heard of this before and if so, which is the correct reading? When running, the oil pressure comes up to 50 psi right away & the oil warning buzzer stops very quickly after engine start.

Many thanks for your reply.

Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Vancouver, BC

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I can't imagine that two readings, one immediately after the other, could be due to anything other than the way the dipstick was inserted or read. When you first read the dipstick on the second day, perhaps it had slowly worked it's way out of the tube a bit, so it read low. Then you reinserted it all the way, and it read normal the second time.

I usually take a dipstick out, clean it, firmly reinsert it for a couple seconds, then remove it again to read it. Also make sure you're reading both sides of the dipstick, and regarding the lower of the two as the correct reading.

Nate

stbdtack

Member III
Oil level....

Does your dipstick have an o ring at the top. Not sure about your engine but some have the dipstick tube all the way down into the pan below the end of the dipstick. If the o ring seals well, pressure can keep the oil level pushed down in the tube. Then as you remove the dipstick the oil can flow up into the tube giving the true reading. (not sure how the pressure gets there.)

When leaving the boat next time try pulling the dipstickup until it unseals the collar and leave it to check when you get back.. Just a thought.....

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
That's a common problem; it gave me a heart attack at first. For some reason the Universal creates a vacuum that appears to draw the oil level down. As a result the initial reading shows little or no oil, while subsequent readings show the correct level.

Ernest

Member II
Dipstick reading

Yup- had a similar problem with the dipstick reading. Now I just check it 3 times. Ernie Schlesinger

Gary G

Member II
Oil level on M-15

I am so glad somebody posted this problem and some answers!!! I have been seeing it forever on my 1983 M-15 engine and it has always made me feel a bit uneasy. I wondered what on earth I could be doing wrong just checking the oil. Thanks to those who responded.

Gary

s/v Imi Loa (1983 E28+ )

gabosifat

Member III
Oil dipstick

Hi All,

Many thanks to all who replied to my question on the oil dipstick levels. I feel I can breath a bit easier now. Incidently, I got an email back from Joe Joyce at Westerbeke, and here is his email copied:

HELLO STEVE,

I HAVE SEEN THIS SCENARIO WITH OTHER ENGINE MODELS. IT IS THE RESULT OF CAPILLARY ACTION IS SOME INSTANCES AND VACUUM/PRESSURE IN THE DIPSTICK TUBE WHEN PULLING THE STICK OUT OR INSERTING IT INTO THE TUBE.

BEST TO DO IS WHAT YOU DID. REMOVE THE DIPSTICK. WIPE IT CLEAN. REINSERT IT SLOWLY AND REMOVE IT SLOWLY. YOU SHOULD THEN HAVE A TRUE READING ON THE STICK AS TO SUMP OIL LEVEL.

BEST REGARDS,

JOE JOYCE

So hopefully with this coming from the horses mouth, it should settle a few minds.

Steve