Universal Diesel 5432 - Rear Main Seal Leaking

Theanswer

Member I
Our Universal 5432 Diesel was hauled out two years ago and reworked due to an oil leaking issue. It appears the issue has returned as a small amount of oil is leaking at the bottom of the bell housing where it attaches to the engine block. The company who worked on the engine previously suggested it may be a, "Rear Main Seal" issue. At first look, it seems if the transmission, bell housing and fly wheel were removed, the rear main seal could be replaced without having to pull the engine again. I wondered if anyone has had this issue in the past, and/or has any suggestions? Thanks for thoughts.

Baslin

Member III
From looking at the parts breakdown on the Westerbeke site, it appears like you could pull the transmission, the flex plate, and then access the rear main seal. It looks like some, depending on serial number, have a small plate with some screws that hold the rear main in place.........If you do access the rear main seal and are able to remove it, carefully examine the crankshaft journal whee the seal rides...Sometimes there is a groove or a lip there causing the rear main seal to fail. Sometimes manufactures make a rear main seal replacement that is set to a slightly different depth than the original seal. this allows the seal to ride on a different part of the journal that has not been worn. You may have some luck by calling a Kubota dealer. It also might help to see if there is an "old timer" there who is familiar with the V1501 engines. I know these came out of the L345 tractor model. They will want to know the tractor model as opposed to the Universal serial number on the engine.

Hope this helps

Rear main seal leaking on M5444

I have the same problem on my '86 E38 with a Universal Diesel M5444. I think it developed from over-filling the oil at an oil change (the dipstick stopper will not stay in place, and I had to guess at the correct level). I am having trouble getting the correct gasket for the "cover, gasket" for the rear main seal; Universal part #298691, The back-order is 3 weeks at Westerbeke* so I would like to get the part as a Kubota part; I think the part number is 15221-0482-0, but cannot find out the if the V1902 Kubota engine uses that part number or another given as 15207-04520-0. I am unsure of the engine number as the last 2 numbers (?) are covered up by the injector pump mount, but I think the engine was used on the New Holland L555 skip loader. Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated as I need to replace the rear main seal ASAP (loosing about 1 quart of oil for every hour of engine use=obnoxious clean-up).
* Westerbeke could not cross reference the Kubota engine and Kubota could not cross reference the Universal engine. Catch 22...:rolleyes:
PS- I am thinking that the easiest way to change out the rear main bearing is to hoist the engine into the galley and swing it 180 degrees; push the front of the engine down to set the engine down on the side-mounts on the mount ramps. If anyone has done/witnessed this please email me: dcapn@hotmail.com