Universal diesel 5416 - oil change

Pat C.

Member III
I don't know if it's the same for all these engines, but I have a coolant reservoir mounted high in the lazarette. I open that and the exhaust manifold (when empty), then fill from the lazarette and cap the exhaust manifold reservoir when it begins to overflow, then finish filling lazarette reservoir.

Recent practical sailor article on using diesel rated coolant, I didn't know about that. Guess I'll be doing the same soon.

jamescio

Member II
Racor fuel filter

Does anyone know the model number for the Racor Fuel filter compatible with universal 5416 diesel?

Seems some of you already have it

Last edited:

jamescio

Member II
Also on average how many quarts of oil does it take during a routine oil change...did mine today and it took about 2 1/2 or 3 quarts. I'm just wondering if that is correct the dipstick looks pretty good, but the dipstick seems pretty hard to read. It is not like a car, where you have add a quart etc.

I am hoping I did right!

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
The 3 quart oil change amount is about what I get out of our 5416 at oil change. I use a12S or 12T Racor filter, one is 10 micron, the other is 2 micron. Both fit the same filter housing.
Frank

Last edited: