Universal 5432

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
exhaust elbows...

I just had our exhaust riser elbow replaced with a silicone bronze elbow that an annapolis company had cast due (they had about 10000 of them done, I'm guessing that was a minimum) to the number of corroded out riser elbows they see. My failed one is pictured below- I'll get pics of the new one later this week. Part price is $198. There's always one more option--- one of the things I love/hate about boat maintenance...

Attachments

• exhaust riser.JPG
    exhaust riser.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 437

stbdtack

Member III
I mixed the acid about 50/50 with water. Not sure of the strength of the acid in the jug. Its what they had at Ace Hdwr.

I also found the pencil zincs from West marine are a little too long. Had to cut off about 1/4 inch with a hacksaw.(I have the 3 inch heatexchanger)

Good news is they are cheap. I should have measured what fit and written it down:rolleyes:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
50/50 sounds good. I was a little concerned about the zinc not lasting a year. My shaft zincs seem to be holding up well though. I have been leaving the boat plugged in to AC all the time with the battery charger on autopilot. This winter I have been running a small oil filled radiator heater as well. Probably not a good practice since I don't have a galvanic isolator. Hopefully will be cureing this over heating problem with the clean heat exchanger and a new t-stat. Still want to check compression and do a leak down test. Anyone out there ever pull the glowplugs on this motor? I need to make an adaptor for my compression tester too.