Universal 5432 exhaust elbow parts?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . . I have noted that any crud that comes through all the rest of the system (ground up seaweed, critters, flotsam) tends to turn to solid blocking material right at the injection site because this is where the crud first encounters big heat. . . .
4.) I keep an old wire coat hanger as part of my tool set. I find amazing uses for it.
+1 This is the crud we got in four months last year. I was kind of shocked.
raw water filter Kismet 2023.jpg

coat hanger - Amen!
Jeff

Pete the Cat

Member III
The exhaust flange has been a hard part to find, but I think this is it: https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop...ust-system/engine-exhaust-flange-rectangular/

If it want to replace my elbow, I need to replace everything back to the flange because it's all fused together.
It is not expensive. You can get black iron pipe fittings at Home Depot or a plumbing supply. You do not want to use galvanized as it produces toxic gases when heated--though I doubt if there is enough to kill you. The hard part would be extracting the flange, but heat, a big vise, patience (days of soaking), and heat has worked for me on some boats.

SteveOO

Member I
It is not expensive. You can get black iron pipe fittings at Home Depot or a plumbing supply. You do not want to use galvanized as it produces toxic gases when heated--though I doubt if there is enough to kill you. The hard part would be extracting the flange, but heat, a big vise, patience (days of soaking), and heat has worked for me on some boats.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the flange and am planning on getting black iron for the other pieces, and a new stainless elbow. I don't have a vise here, and might as well just put in all new parts at this point.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Thanks for the info. I ordered the flange and am planning on getting black iron for the other pieces, and a new stainless elbow. I don't have a vise here, and might as well just put in all new parts at this point.
Any common plumbing fitting made in black iron is also made in 316 stainless, you just have to buy it at a plumbing supply store instead of a big-box or local hardware store. You'll still need a vice and a large pipe wrench to get the pieces back together without leaks. Steel NPT threads of that size take quite a bit of force to get them to their "interference fit" where they form a proper seal.