Universal 5342 that won't reach full RPMs

Tooluser

Flǎneur
I'm looking at an E38 that is quite nice in many aspects. It has the original rigging and original main, which, not being an antique collector :p I'll probably replace. But the thing that's giving me pause is the engine.

Several of the classic repairs have been performed; water pump, bigger heat exchanger, etc. But it is underperforming to a degree that warrants investigation. Here are the salient pieces I can come up with. I'd love it if y'all can tell me what's wrong or help me think through it as I'm eager to join the club.

- Universal 5432 factory top RPM 2800
- In neutral, runs at 2800 no problem
- In gear, tops out at ~2200 (was 2000 until I cleaned a marine sanctuary off the prop)
- Original prop replaced w/ Flex-O-Fold (17" x unknown pitch) ~2 yrs ago.
- While surveying, oil filter exploded, spraying oil. Autopsy revealed rust on the (automotive) filter had weakened it.
- Once replaced, oil pressure stayed within normal limits, behaved fine.
- Water pump replaced 'recently' [Getting exact date]
- Boat has been sitting largely unused (~30 hrs) since last filter change (Nov 2021)

My analysis:
Engine compartment is clean and dry, so it's unclear what could have caused the corrosion. The pump was a recent replacement. If it sprayed salt water on the oil filter, perhaps that's the cause? Alternatively, something much more dire.

I talked to a prop mechanic who said that a 600 rpm deficit is nothing to sneeze at and will be bad for the engine. He suggested the boat may be overpropped, which Flex-O-Fold seems to be notorious for based on other forums. I'm awaiting prop measurements.

In the absence of that, how can I get my head around this?

Owner seems perfectly nice and honest, but I don't expect him to be omniscient.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
600 rpm is indeed nothing to sneeze at, and overpropping could be the culprit. The thing to do would be to get the prop diameter, the pitch, the engine hp, and the transmission gear ratio and contact a prop shop to run the calculations in order to see how what is on there compares to what should be installed.

A clogged exhaust elbow also comes to mind.

Tooluser

Flǎneur
Ran the calculations @Alan Gomes. Gear ratio is 1.8:1. Should be a 16x9 or 17x9. Survey says 17". . . but doesn't include pitch! I'm finding out.

Exhaust elbow is a great idea. Exhaust is good and elbow is new! Could still be clogged but not as easily. Could something else in the exhaust path be the issue?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Ran the calculations @Alan Gomes. Gear ratio is 1.8:1. Should be a 16x9 or 17x9. Survey says 17". . . but doesn't include pitch! I'm finding out.

Exhaust elbow is a great idea. Exhaust is good and elbow is new! Could still be clogged but not as easily. Could something else in the exhaust path be the issue?
The pitch will tell you a lot. You might be off by a few inches.

I am a bit surprised that the calculation would come up with the same ideal pitch for both a 16" and a 17" prop. Seems like the target pitch should be lower for the 17" prop.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
My guess would also be the prop. Pitch is critical in engine achieving rated RPM. Also you say it's been sitting unused so I'm guessing it's in and has been in the water ? If so check that the prop is clean especially since it's a folder.

Tooluser

Flǎneur
It’s a three blade prop.

To be clear, the diameter of the prop should be 16 or 17 inches. That won’t hit the RPM very much. The pitch should be 9 inches.

I cleaned the prop when we had it hauled out.