universal 25xp belt

stm

stm
Does anyone have a cross number for a Universal 25xp v-belt. Universal number is 300817(i think). Looks like it might be an a-40 belt. Would like to pickup locally instead of ordering.
Thanks

stm

stm
thanks for the replies. Not really worried about saving a couple dollars, just want to be able to pick it up locally. Thanks Loren for the thread.
Seems the 25xp engines are prone to eating belts. I sailed/motored down from Maine to Annapolis and notice alot of belt dust when I got home.
I have motored less than 10 hours since my trip and the belt is starting to come apart. I doubt if I motor more than 20-25 hours per season so I don't think it's going to be a huge problem for me.

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Belt Tension

Loose belts can generate dust and tear up a belt in pretty short time IMHO. I wonder if the tension on your 25xp is correct. Should be one half inch play in the little beggar when she's properly installed. I have a 90 amp Leese Neville alternator on my 25xp and after 20 hours there is no dust.

FWIW,

Larry Lee
Annabelle Lee
E- 32-200
Savannah, GA:)

Erich

Member II
I'm picking up a spare belt tomorrow so my shopping list is one of:
Belt Gates 7400XL 9.5/10mm x 1030mm
Goodyear 15406 (11AV1015)
Dayco topdog 15400
The belt likely depends on the alternator. I have a Balmar 70 amp.
I found that one way to maximize the length of the belt life (in addition to belt tension) is to start the engine without the house batteries connected, let it warm up a bit, connect the house batteries, then ramp up the engine speed.

tadslc

Member III
Alternator Belt

Anyone have any preferences on a good alternator belt?

I've just been using one I purchased from Autozone and would like to upgrade.

Thanks,

tadslc

Member III
Wow, that was quick. I usually spend a lot of time searching the sight, for some reason I didn't this time.

Leon Sheean

Member II
The engine compartment of my 32-200 is quite limited and I've found it important that the belt of choice be of the "no stretch" variety, so length may not be the only concern.