Universal 2 Cylinder - Strong Enough?

psanburn

Member II
I am looking at a 30+ and wonder if the 2 cylinder engine offers enough power for long cruises. Also, what is the maximum speed you typically run with the motor?

Also, there was about 1" on water in the bilge that was quickly evacutated with the pump - should that amount of water be alarming?

Thank you.
Peter S

bayhoss

Member III
I have a 28.2 with a Universal 10hp and have to say that on an extended trip I wish for more hp. I usally run the rpm at 2800 which is about 85% of full power. With that I do about 5 - 6 mph on FLAT water. Add current, waves, or wind and the speed goes away fast. For average day of getting in and out of the marina to go sailing it's ok. For extended trips or under storm conditions, underpowered.

Best,
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Maybe, It Depends...

I am looking at a 30+ and wonder if the 2 cylinder engine offers enough power for long cruises. Also, what is the maximum speed you typically run with the motor?

Also, there was about 1" on water in the bilge that was quickly evacutated with the pump - should that amount of water be alarming?

Thank you.
Peter S

Do you know which horsepower engine that one is?
I ask because there were several different size Universals, and a quick web search finds this trivia:

"The first Universal diesel was advertised in 1976. Designated the Model 5416, it was a 45 cu in, 16 hp, 2 cylinder, based on the Kubota Z-751 block and built from 1976 to 1982. Approximately 1,000 were sold. It was replaced by the Model M20, which was produced in 1982 and 1983. Approximately 230 were sold.
In 1977 the Model 5411 was introduced. It was a 31 cu in, 11 hp 2 cylinder raw water cooled diesel, based on the Kubota Z-500 block, and fitted with a Hurth transmission. The 5411 was built from 1977 to 1982. Approximately 2,900 were sold. It was replaced by the Model M15, which was produced in 1982 and 1983. Approximately 370 were sold.
"

Quite a difference in cubic inches and hp.

Having once done a coastal delivery on a 9K displacement boat with a one-cylinder Yanmar 12 (constant hp rating=10) hp and maintaining 6 kts most all the time, I am not too skeptical of any given engine, if matched to the boat and fitted with the correct prop...
:cool:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have a 1984 E30+ with a 16 hp 2 cylinder universal diesel engine, model 5416. This engine will power our boat at about 6.2 knots but we usually motor at about 5.8 knots, and 5.5 knots when towing our 8 foot dinghy. This engine (which may be the same one you are looking at (Post #1) is pretty good for this boat in most coastal conditions. There have been a few occasions over the years where we faced significant chop, current and wind on the nose where we were slowed significantly and would raise a sail to motor sail in order to make better headway. So occasionally I have wished for a bit more power, but in general, 16 hp is fine for the E30+. I wouldn't want less than 16 hp.

Frank

psanburn

Member II
Universal 2 Cylinder

Thanks everyone for your insightful comments, very helpful. The boat is in a lake, so I think we should be fine based upon what you have shared.

Looks like a 30+ may be in my future - I'm very excited about the prospects.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My 35-3 had an M25 that did not push the boat through the water very well when there was wind, waves and current. I swapped out the original prop for a 2 blade FlexOFold and it got noticeably better. It sailed faster, motored faster and reversed better.

As for the water in the bilge, it depends on how long it took for it to get that 1".

Last edited: