Universal 10 water pump replacement and more

seizethebay

Member I
Poor Seize the Bay had a tough blizzard weekend 2 weeks ago. She is a 1985 E28.5
Good news is she did not sink... bad news is I have cracks in the cockpit drain hose. I need to replace and will attempt that myself in spring. For some crazy reason, the hose has an area where it is below the engine and water must have filled and cracked when it froze.

Also original motor and in need of replacing raw water pump. I want to try to do myself with the help of some motor head friends :) suggestions as to where I could purchase?

any tips before I tackle either of these projects.

Cheers Lynne

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Universal 5411 Water Pump

Hi Respected Sailor,
We have a Sherwood and Oberdorfer pump on our 1981 E28+. Both have worked fine. Bought them from local Portland ME marine supplier. Very cheap years ago. Now I would try to buy from Kubota Dealer as the pumps are now very expensive. I would try to buy local so you can examine the pump. The flange on the sherwood pump that we bought was not flat and we had to exchange for a flat one. You should equlibrate the pump when you do the install to make sure that the pump is centered on the opening. Put the pump on with the bolts loose enough so you can move the pump just a little. Before you put on the hoses run the starter to get one to two turns on the pump then tighten the bolts. Do not run the engine as you will burn out the new pump. Then attach the hoses and you should be good to go.
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+
Universal 5411 Engine

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw1jVjksDSs

Is it leaking? You might be able to rebuild it, it's probably the shaft seal.

My old Sherwood was even weirder and more awkward than the one in the video. Replaced with an Oberdorfer, very straightforward job.

Attachments

• copy Sherwood 2.jpg
    copy Sherwood 2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Oberdorfer installed.jpg
    Oberdorfer installed.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited: