under 30' ericson for offshore sailing?

marto

Member I
I'm planing to do some offshore sailing, I'm seling my santana 30' that I wont take to the big oceans, I even thought to beef it up, but it is to light construction.
i'm considering a e27 or e29, I know the old e30 is probably the way to go, being circumnavigated allready, but it is too hard to find one.
I'm planing to do it in de very lower budgetand diy way, I already rebuild the santana from scratch, I know how to prepare a boat for offshre sailing, upgrading rigging sails, hatches, etc. I want your coments in hull design, cuality construction etc.
thanks very much
Martin.

Starduff

Member II
Under 30' Offshore Sailing

The previous owner of my E-28 sailed it often from Mamaroneck, LI (NY) to Marthas Vineyard and Maine. He told me he sometimes did it singlehanded and, not by plan, in foul weather.

Last edited:

Kevin Johnston

Member III
E29 for sale

Martin,
Did you see the E29 that was being set up for just that, it is in Tennesse but a screaming deal at $15,000 if the upgrades have been made? See the for sale/wanted tab here. His loss could be your gain.
KJ

Last edited:

marto

Member I
I had going trough the e28 specs it has a wider beam 10.5 and more waterline 24.2 it look more like a e30 but with 1000 p less in the keel
e27 loa 22 lwl 22.6 beam 9 balast 2900 disp 6600
e28 loa 28.6 lwl 24.2 beam 10.6 balast 3000 disp 7500
e29 loa 28.7 lwl 22 beam 9.3 balast 3900 disp 8500
e30 loa 29.11 lwl 25.4 beam 10.6 balast4000 disp 9000
it loks like a more beamy modern hull light displasement.
I dont know if would be ok in a transatlantic crossing. I dont say it can't do it.
looking at the specs I would say the e27 and e30 are the better then follow by e28 and and e29,
I wander about the e29 being so narrow.
do you know how sturdy are they build, I know the 30 is tough abd the 27 too.

marto

Member I
yes ciertanly intresting add, a bit up of my budget right now, maybe in few month.
i bougth my last boat for 1500 and put about 4000 on it. its not that I'm cheap, I'm just pour. but with resources.
I'm loking to a e29 for 5000 now, I have all the equipment to do the upgrades already. but I wander if a e27 would be better for solo sailing.
thanks
M

for the budget sailor I think the e27 is the best for the buck, sail anywere on a sailboat that you can unestep the mast by yourself!
relatively small sails.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the comment above about the suposed "narrow-ness" of the E-29. Note that this boat has a better beam / length ratio than many newer designs. This was designed in an era of true dual-purpose boats intended for offshore cruising *and* racing.
Of course no boat does all things well, but this was and is a wholesome design for the open sea -- remember that waves are always going to be parted easier by a narrower vessel. :rolleyes:

There is a nice thread on this site about various Ericsons and their trips accross the oceans and around the world. There is an E-29 from Norway sailing around the world even now... :)

Loren

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The E29 is a tough boat, easy to single hand and I find it very livable. She is a bit tender but firms up at a point and handles what she is handed. The limit would not be the boat but the ability of the crew.

The more I work on and with my E29 the more I am impressed. Most things in life are impressive at first and then we find out the reality. Ericson built good boats. Don’t confuse wide beam with stability, the moment of righting is poorer on a wide beam boat. There is a formula that translates the keel weight, beam and a couple of other dimensions into a stability factor and the 29 rates better than many boats I would have thought to be top of the line.

Loren do you remember the link to that calculation??

Starduff

Member II
Under 30' Offshore Sailing

Marto,

Just some additional info. The E-28 dimensions you mention sound more like the E-28+. Ericson made two model E-28s. The Earlier one being the E-28+ at 28"6' LOA and 10'6" Beam. The later design (1986 - ?) being 28" LOA and 10' Beam. I learned this when I was in the process of buying my boat.

Richard

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Randy,
It seems like there is indeed a calculated stability index that NA's and sailing writers like to use to impress us uneducated types, but you guys will have to do some web searching to find it...
:)

LB

ps: Like most data calculated inside of warm dry stable rooms on shore, accept the info thus found as useful, but only after considering the real world performance history of the hull in question, though... ;)

Last edited:

marto

Member I
i was out for a couple days....
I think an independece 31 will be too much for me and too far in my budget.
thanks for the comment David you probably love your boat.
I wasn't saying that is any problem with the narrownwss of the 29, actually I think it is probably better cruiser then the 28, better confort.
my choices , for now are reduced to the 29 or 27, budget wise.
I have one e27 that I have to go see here in new jersey taht is going for 5.000 or so.
it is anything you guys can tell me about these two?
motion confort, how to handle ruff weather, weakness?
also waht else to be done aside beeffing up the rig and the rudder. water tigthness. check keel bolts.
thank you guys for all the help.

Kevin Johnston

Member III
If you are really serious about off-shore ocean blue cruising for months on end, the longer the boat the more stow area, weight, and incrementally more stable to handle weather, wind and waves. No keel bolts to worry about in the either of the those lengths. I have been out in some pretty thick stuff on my E27 and have never been over my head but that has come with years of experience and knowledge of my boat. The advantages between the E27 and the E29, I believe again it would only be slight in the performance of wind, waves and duration but size does matter to captian/crew state of mind so given that I would side with the E29 over the E27.
KJ

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are several related offshore-in-a-smaller-Ericson threads on this site. Here is just one:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=415&referrerid=28

Interestingly, the fellow that started that thread posted a little later in 2002, offering his E-26 (mk 1) for sale.
:rolleyes:

Like some others here, I would also choose the 29 to get more waterline length, but since a 27 has crossed the Pacific both ways, it should be up to your voyaging plans. (Probably not a good idea to try doubling Cape Horn in it, though...)
;)

Fair Winds,
Loren
:egrin:

Last edited: