Two Harbors for Memorial Day

Sven

Seglare
Mikebat said:
I got a bead on a 2004 model Achilles LSI-96 (hypalon) with a 2000 model year Evinrude E5R4SS 5HP 4-stroke. $1482 for the dink and $999 for the motor. Does that sound like a good deal? It seems like one to me. For just a couple dollars more, I can go with a smaller but "newer" 2005 model year Achilles LSI-88. The motor and dinks are represented as new, in the crate, with manufacturter's warranty. Defender.com is the site I found them at. Would have to pay freight from Waterford, CT, which they estimate at $135.

What do you think?

Sounds like a go-for-it deal. I think the WM vinyl RU-280 (285 ?) is over $1400 now.

How come they have a 5-year old new motor ?

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Howland's facilities ?

Mikebat said:
That's Howland's Landing, Sven, not Isthmus cove. :egrin:

Now that we have settled that ... :)

... can you use the pier or does private mean that only members of something can step ashore on the pier ? How about the shore itself, is it public ?

How are the moorings handled, by Isthmus harbor patrol ? If not Isthmus, who do you hail and on what channel ?

It looks like a very nice and quiet place. Not sure if I'm up to rowing back and forth from the Isthmus if there are no local facilities, but who knows ?

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
Sven said:
How come they have a 5-year old new motor ?

No idea, I ended up buying from a different dealer, and the one that had the 5- year old new motor only sells the motors with the boats. So I never got to ask.

The deal I settled on is a Mercury Air 270 8'9" hypalon air deck for $1295. It looks to me like one of the best boats this size, and has a 5 year 100% warranty. I bought it from Buster's Marine, who sells on eBay and over the phone, but I didn't buy it off eBay, I called them.

As for Howland's, all but one of the moorings in this cove are leased to LA Yacht Club members, so I am told. They say any club members can use them, with the lessee having first right of refusal in case they plan to come to their mooring. The club has a section of beach at the west end of the cove with some picnic tables and lots of shade trees, the rest is part of the youth camp. It's a private cove, basically, except for the one mooring I tied up to. The pier has a large, friendly red and white sign telling you it's a private pier and no public landings are permitted. I hailed "Howland's Harbor" on Ch. 9 and the harbor patrol answered and took the mooring fee. I guess it is handled by whoever patrols Emerald and the other west coves. HP said the mooring I was on was for a 50' boat, but he was being a nice guy letting me take it Saturday night for the 32' rate.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have a friend that installs Lazy Jacks

Mike,

I have a friend that installs Lazy Jacks for a good price. In fact he has a brand new Harken set up that will fit your boat. He is in San Pedro. Here's his phone number Don Anderson, (626) 290-5213. E-mail is, h2odrdon@hotmail.com

He also does other work aloft

Thank You

Jefferson Asbury

Graphic Designer

PCA Design Center West
9700 Frontage Rd, South Gate, CA 90280
jasbury@packagingcorp.com