Tunning the Rigging / Mast

rjuhl

I have a 1979 Ericson 29....just put in the water this year....and I'm a new owner. Looking at the Ericson Owners Manual that came with the boat, the section on tuning the rigging / mast only refers to tightening the upper shrouds to about 2" of play, and the lowers to about 2 - 3 inches of play.

This is highly subjective in my opinion as one can pull just about any tension with enough strengh to get the required results, i.e. there is no reference.

Would anyone kown about how may ft / lbs of tension would be correct. I purchased a rigging tension gauge that measures ft/lbs. My rigging is 7/8" diamater.

Thank you

escapade

Inactive Member
rig tuning

A couple of different way's to go. You can either do it the old fashioned way, by centering your mast by using the main halyard to measure to the chainplates. Pull the halyard taut & cleat it off so that it just touches one chainplate. Then take it to the opposite chainplate on the other side of the boat. It should just touch this one also. If not, then loosen one side & tighten the other till it's balanced. Then after you snug everything up you can go out sailing. Watch the leward shrouds, if they appear loose tighten then a turn or 2, then tack over and tighten the other side the same amount. Do this until the lewards just stay taut, not too tight but not flopping around, either. The other way is after you have the mast centered, you can go to West Marine in Bay City & buy a Loos Tension gage. This will give you a more accurate way to adjust all the rigging if your in doubt. Talk to Terry or Dan. They can help you out.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"