Tuning spec's for 28+

Captain Dave

Inactive Member
Greetings.
I am trying to find info for tuning my mast. like rake,prebend and shroud tention. she's fractional rigged , no running back stay.
This may help. 1984 Ericson 28+
I just bought her and judging from condision of the rest of the boat,I think I need to check the mast for proper tune.
Can anyone tell me the spec's , or point me in the right direction to find them?
thank you.
David.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
It's here

Dave,

Congrats on the new boat!

Day before yesterday I gave a descrption of the tuning process in the response to the same question for an E 29. I made some points which would apply to the frac rigs as well, and that info will generally apply to you also.

Additionally, if you do a topic search on rig tuning, you find some long posts on this topic-with many specific references to the fractional rig, and what the differences are in terms of the impact of the various stays on rig tune and performance.

After you look those over, feel free to ask any and all questions-or if I was not clear enough on any point-let me know.

One way or the other, we will help you sort it out.

One thing I will say (although this point has been made in those posts, it may not be as clear) is that for the 28, keep the aft rake to about 1-2" maximum. Aft rake, while helping you upwind performance(especially in light air), also add weather helm, and the 28 is prone to having a fair amount to begin with-so for breezier conditions too much rake will make this boat a workout to steer. The 28 is also quite tender (again, a big bonus in light air), so shorten sail early-especially compared to other boats you may be familiar with.

Good luck, good reading, and get back to us with questions!

Cheers,
S

Captain Dave

Inactive Member
Seth.
Thank you,I'll be looking that over .I'd like to say you know the boat. I've recently discovered she's prone to wheather helm.
Thanks again
David