Troubleshoot spin halyard reinstallation

peaman

Sustaining Member
After hauling the boat for the winter in SE Connecticut, I replaced each of the halyards with a 1/8" nylon messenger to save them from environmental exposure. I did the same last year, with no spring recommissioning issues. Each halyard is whipped at each end, with a messenger loop* to facilitate reeving the lines. Usually, this works really well, as the messenger can be tied directly to the messenger loop and the halyard re-reeved without even the need for tape. In fact, today, in re-reeving my stbd spin and headsail halyard, I did not even notice that the halyard had passed over the masthead sheave.

But also, today, I was unable to re-install the port spin halyard. I tried running it up inside the mast, as well as up to the masthead and down the mast, and each time, the line jammed hard at the masthead, even after I taped the junction of messenger-to-line. I suspect that somehow, the 1/8" nylon messenger line has jumped the sheave, and the line is getting jammed between the sheave and mast.

So, the questions are

1) is there any possible expiation for the jamb, other than the messenger having jumped the sheave?​
2) is there any reasonable way to get the proper line on the sheave, or to get the messenger on the sheave, without requiring human intervention in person at the mast head?​
3) Can this be prevented in the future while continuing to use small-gauge messengers in the same manner?​

* See page 67 of 88 of E32 Owner's Manual

JSM

Member III
1) Probably not
2) Possibly try snapping the halyard and see if you can get it to jump back on the sheave. Are you able to pull the halyard back down or is everything jammed tight?
3) Use a larger diameter line for your messenger. I also pull my halyards in the fall and use cheap 1/4" line from home depot and never have had a problem.

peaman

Sustaining Member
2) Yes, I have been able to get things moving again after multiple jambs. I will try snapping the line with the line outside the mast and the messenger inside. It's probably all in the wrist. Wish me luck.
3) I guess I will be in the market for some inexpensive 1/4" line, possibly after visiting the mast top to see what the deal is.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our halyard "tag line" is 3/16", IIRC. I can see where a small diameter line might possibly jam. Yikes. 1/4" would do fine, just be sure to stitch the ends together so that there is no extra fat place to jam anywhere.