Transom cut out

Mark Hadrick

We would like to remove our transom cut out for a swim step, the boat is an E-27 with a tiller & a A-4. I'm looking for input on the pro's & con's of this, what to watch for, what is need to stiffen the transom, etc. Thanks Mark

Gary and Terri

Mark,

When we first looked at our E-27 w/ Yanmar inboard I didn't like the cutout.Then I gave it some thought and this is what we did. I cut a piece of 1/2 starboard to fit.Cut long 1/2x3/4x18" or so strips 1/2 inside the transom. This will let you drop the 1/2 starboard in place added a piece to match the top of the transom andscrewed this to dropin then add a 16" strip down each side of the cockpit at the aft ends and made a piece to span between the two sides out of 3/4 starboard. Then had coushions to span across the entire aft end of the cockpit (alittle under 4'). This makes the cockpit very roomy and all you need to do is remove the dropins and you have a walk-thru stern. Bolt on a folding stern ladder underneath the cutout. We use this all the time to get in/out of the dink. much easier than climbing up and over a stern rail. Hope this give you some ideas, good luck
Gary and Terri
"TerriAnn"

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
pectures please

could you post some pictures of how this was done. I have an E26 and would be interested in maybe doing this project on my boat.

JMGOMEZ

Member I
I have an E27 with an outboard, but I have the factory built piece that slides into the cut out at the transom. If anyone is interested, I would be willing to sell this piece.

Joe

Mark Hadrick

JM GOMEZ
Thanks for your reply, I think my main concern is if the transom need's to be reinforced when this operation is performed, if you look on the construction drawings there is a pice of 3/4 inch plywood glassed inbetween the transom (hull) and the cockpit liner. Will removing this cause the transom to flex under load.
Have you noticed how much reinforcement is in the stern, & have you notice any flexing of your stern? Do you have adjustable back stay? Thanks MH

JMGOMEZ

Member I
Mark,

If your E27 is the outboard version, it should have the factory made cutout and perhaps the transom piece that would slide in place, when an outboard is not used. My 1976 E27 came with such piece, and it is heavily built. I have an outboard, whcih is clamped to the cutout at the transom. This is solid glass-enclosed 2 to 2-1/2" thick plywood. There is no flex at all.
I hope this answers your questions. Regards, JG