Transmission troubles

gabosifat

Member III
SUCCESS!!!
Reinstalled the old mounts and did most of alignment yesterday. Fine tuned everything this morning, and put rest of bits back on engine. Spent a lot of time and managed to get alignment down to .001”. Just came back from our sea trial and happy to report everything very smooth indeed (better than before). Very happy we replaced the gear and throttle cables - very smooth and effortless. One big thing I learned if I were to do it again - if replacing engine mounts. do your research!. Because we’re so remote here I just asked the dealer to send me some replacement mounts for my engine. However, they were far too soft for this engine (Universal M35A). When the engine was installed on them, with the engine off you could literally rock the engine for and aft and side to side. That is with no load. When it was put into fwd gear, the engine literally rotated sideways (I think the loud clunk was the shaft hit the shaft log fibreglass it moved so much). When throttled up you could see the motor hobby horsing for and aft. The new mounts are R&D brand(see photo). The old ones are DF 2200. Looking forward to heading off tomorrow to complete our trip!
Thanks again to everyone who offered their most helpful advice!
Cheers,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island BC

Attachments

• 6F0C31F7-94B9-4F2C-8997-B89EA502FDBF.jpeg
    6F0C31F7-94B9-4F2C-8997-B89EA502FDBF.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 8

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
SUCCESS!!!
Reinstalled the old mounts and did most of alignment yesterday. Fine tuned everything this morning, and put rest of bits back on engine. Spent a lot of time and managed to get alignment down to .001”. Just came back from our sea trial and happy to report everything very smooth indeed (better than before). Very happy we replaced the gear and throttle cables - very smooth and effortless. One big thing I learned if I were to do it again - if replacing engine mounts. do your research!. Because we’re so remote here I just asked the dealer to send me some replacement mounts for my engine. However, they were far too soft for this engine (Universal M35A). When the engine was installed on them, with the engine off you could literally rock the engine for and aft and side to side. That is with no load. When it was put into fwd gear, the engine literally rotated sideways (I think the loud clunk was the shaft hit the shaft log fibreglass it moved so much). When throttled up you could see the motor hobby horsing for and aft. The new mounts are R&D brand(see photo). The old ones are DF 2200. Looking forward to heading off tomorrow to complete our trip!
Thanks again to everyone who offered their most helpful advice!
Cheers,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island BC
I'm so glad for you that you got it solved! What a process to figure it out. You would think a dealer would know what motor mounts would work, but I guess I trust professionals less and less, but really appreciate the good ones I've found.
Frank

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Glad you sorted it out. But are your old mounts in need of replacement? Seems a shame if you have to go through this yet again, albeit with the correct mounts.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I totally agree Alan, just wasn’t possible logistically with the remoteness of where we broke down.
Oh! I didn't realize that part. Well, you did what you had to. At least you got the problem solved, and the next time when you do it with the right mounts you'll have confidence it will all come out OK.