Transmission Fluid Change

Brian K

Member III
I'm sure there is a thread on checking and changing the transmission fluid. If you can link me to that thread I'd certainly appreciate it.

My 1988 E-32-200 has the Universal M25XP engine, but I'm not sure what transmission was supplied by Ericson for this boat. I don't have any transmission problems (that I know of) at this point, but I would like to at least check the fluid level and probably change the fluid. Questions:
  • Where is the transmission fluid dipstick?
  • Where is the drain (this ought to be easy to figure out)?
  • How much and what type fluid?
Thanks in advance!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=7477&referrerid=28

I put "Hurth" into the search box, and this was near the top of a long list. You should do some searching...

In general, plan on removing the two bolts on the heat exchanger bracket so that the dip stick can be better-accessed. At least that's what I do. I also loosen the two clamps that hold the h.e. to that bracket.
The drain in on the bottom. Use ATF like the manual sez.
It is certainly a, um, "challenging" space in which to work. Keep small children away while you do this, lest they learn some new words and phrases to entertain your relatives with later!
:rolleyes:

Loren

ps: look under this thread display for "Similar Threads", also.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Don't know about the 32, but on my boat I think it would be near impossible to drain the transmission via the drain plug. (And probably create a huge mess, too!) I used a pump to suck out most of the fluid. I'm sure I didn't get it all, but I did get most of it. On my M-18 engine the HE doesn't interfere with the dipstick; you just have to contort yourself the right way to get it off.

On mine, probably on yours too, when you check the fill level, don't screw the dipstick back in; just insert it until the threaded part of the cap rests on top of the hole.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I use a Mityvac tool (Sears version) and it came with a 8oz or so collection can so you can apply vacuum to the can and suck fluid into it. The Hurth in my boat only uses 12oz or so of fluid so it was quite easy to suck it out of the dipstick hole. Mityvac, collection can and some vacuum tubing and you are good to go. If you are ambitious you can make a nicer, larger collection can from a Ball jar and some vacuum tube fittings. RT