Transmission Dipstick

Akavishon

Member III
I have destroyed the darn thing completely, trying to wrench it out with various tools ... finally had to call in help (the yard boys) to come in with their heavy equipment. They finished the job, but now I need a new dipstick ... any ideas where to get a replacement?

Standard H<title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.0 (Win32)"><style> <!-- BODY,DIV,TABLE,THEAD,TBODY,TFOOT,TR,TH,TD,P { font-family:"Arial"; font-size:x-small } --></style>urth HBW-50 aka ZF5M transmission on my E32.

TIA - Zoran

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cols="1" rules="none" frame="void"><tbody><tr><td align="left" width="231" height="17">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

Attachments

• CIMG3557.jpg
    CIMG3557.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 173

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Is it significant that this is a brass washer, rather than a stainless steel one? I've almost lost the existing brass one in the bilge a few times, so am wondering if I can replace it with a stainless steel one should that happen.
Thanks for any information.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is it significant that this is a brass washer, rather than a stainless steel one? I've almost lost the existing brass one in the bilge a few times, so am wondering if I can replace it with a stainless steel one should that happen.
Thanks for any information.
Frank

I believe that these type of washers need to be a "soft" metal, like aluminum or copper. SS would seem to be too hard to deform at all to act like a ''washer'' and thereby seal around the plug -- kind of like the aluminum washer around the oil pan drain plug.

Anyone else have more info to share?

Class? Bueller?!
:)

Loren

Emerald

Yep, the washers should be soft. Just take the plug up to the local NAPA (or other parts store), and you ought to be able to find something.

hodo

Member III
If the head material is steel one could weld a nut onto it to get by till you locate a replacement.
Harold.

Akavishon

Member III
Tim - sounds like you've been in this spot before?

So I called Hansen, they have the dipstick in stock, sells for ~$90 + tax and shipping.

I wonder if it may be cheaper to have a machine shop grind the distorted head into some 'wrench-able' shape ... there's enough material left, may not need to weld a nut.

I'm launching tomorrow, so the timing is a bit unfortunate.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
It is probably cheaper to have a larger nut welded on than having it machined into a new shape.

I have not had any problems with the dipstick but I have bought many other parts from Hansen including a new transmission.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Tim - sounds like you've been in this spot before?

So I called Hansen, they have the dipstick in stock, sells for ~$90 + tax and shipping.

I wonder if it may be cheaper to have a machine shop grind the distorted head into some 'wrench-able' shape ... there's enough material left, may not need to weld a nut.

I'm launching tomorrow, so the timing is a bit unfortunate.

$90!?! For a dipstick?!?

For that much money I would certainly try to get someone to either mill it down or weld on a nut to the top. Actually, being as cheap as I am, I would probably take a file to it to create some new flat sides that I could use with a Crescent wrench.

Interesting to hear about the washer, as mine did not have one at all. Guess the PO lost it in the bilge, and I didn't know I needed one.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I will sell you one for $50 and it comes with a whole transmission (in need of a rebuild)! You pay shipping also.

I replaced my trans some time ago.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Why not just get a plug with the same threads and keep the dipstick with your spares for when you want to check the level?

I have always assumed that the measurement should be made with the dipstick unscrewed.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Tom, I understand that the dipstick has some venting holes that prevent the fluid from foaming. Keep the dipstick in.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Weld a nut to the top of that sucker! Then check to make sure the venting still works. Drill out as necessary. RT

newgringo

Member III
I got a used dipstick a couple of years ago for $10 from GoldStar Marine in Pt Townsend, WA. www.goldstarmarine.com. The hole for venting is important. And the washer should be soft metal. There is a tightening torque spec so the threads don't strip like mine did on the old ZF10 I replaced.

Maine Sail

Member III
Tim is

Tom, I understand that the dipstick has some venting holes that prevent the fluid from foaming. Keep the dipstick in.

Tim is correct and you should not use just any bolt. The dipsticks on Hurth/ZF gear boxes are vented to prevent seals from blowing out under expansion from hot fluid.

I'd vote to spend the money and do it right. New trannies are $$$$.. Also get your self a six point 17mm wrench..:)

111235909.jpg

Akavishon

Member III
Closure (for me)

Guys, thanks for all the great replies ... I ended up taking the dipstick to my local machine shop where my friendly machinist cut the damaged head down to a fresh and sparkly 1/2" octagon. It took him about 10mins and he declined to charge me for it ... I then stopped by my car mechanic on my way to the boatyard and picked up (for free) a perfect copper washer to go with it.

Aaah, I wish things were always this easy - my total expense was the cost of gas I spent driving to/from the machine shop :)

Zoran

Last edited: