Transducer(s) leaking

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Zincs, if they are doing their job, will deteriorate over time. If you look at them, it will be obvious if they need replacing.

newgringo

Member III
Hull Speed/rpm on E32-3

Hello Gfilipi,
Yes a 3 blade will be very smooth compared to a thumper 2 blade. However your prop guy should set the prop pitch and diameter to achieve hull speed of 6.8 knots at full power at 3000 rpm. Propping for hull speed at a much slower rpm loads the engine harder. I have been thru this same drill now on 2 E32-3s and a catalina. I have a Michigan Sailor 3 blade 14 dia X 8 pitch which is perfect. But my gearbox is a non standard 1.8:8 reduction vs the standard 2:1 so yours would need a little more pitch.

gfilipi

Member I
Prop/RPM

Hi Newgringo,

I currently have a 15 X 11 2 blade. Norm at West by North says he has good data from 86 Ericsons and he recommends building a 14 X 7. I told Norm that many people had been recommending 14 X 8 and he says that the 14 X 7 is better for my boat. I guess I will soon see. I looked through all the PO's records on the the transmission and he rebuilt it a few years ago, but it doesn't say anything about changing the gear ratio. I'm assuming it is still 2:1.

Gene

jreddington

Member III
Question: How do you know when the zincs are bad on the propeller shaft. Is there a trick to replacing them or is it something I should have a diver do?

Just visually inspect them. They should gradually eat away and might be rough but don't need to be replaced until they corrode away enough that it looks like it could fall apart. I used to just leave the old one on when I put a new one on but heard a good "thump" one time that I think was the old one letting loose. No damage but made me rethink the "leave it on 'till it departs on its own" theory. Uneven wear can also contribute to a little vibration.

Replacing zincs is no big deal as long as the water is warm enough. A nut embedded in the zinc and a bolt clamp it to the shaft. Undo and redo with an allen wrench. Most zincs even have little plastic washers, just so that the bolts don't slip out while you're attaching them.

Tie off the allen wrench to your wrist, loosen and remove the old zinc. Have an assistant hand you the two halves of the new zinc, clamp it on the shaft and tighten. You can also use a little wet/dry sandpaper on the shaft to make sure it has good contact.

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Tranducer Leaking

I would check the drain hose from the anchor locker to the outlet on the bow. Sounds like it may be leaking and will leak more the faster you go. Had this problem on my Ericson 32-3. It requires moving the anchor locker but might be worth checking. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 #753 Andiamo