Trans and throttle cable

Clanum

Hello all pretty new to the site I just purchased a 32-2 last fall I am 2200 miles away from where the boat is anyway previous owner told me the throttle and the trans cables are froze up and was wonder if anyone on here could possibly know the lengths I need to purchase or have a link to them I’m heading to the boat in couple weeks and would like to have them to install thanks for any info that could help Ooo and the atomic four motor has been replaced with Yanmar diesel thanks again

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Clanum,

Welcome to the site! there's lots of options depending on specific model and year, engine, engine controls etc. Then there's the history of the boat including what others have done over the last 30+ years. Signature lines can't help with the history part, but they get us in the ballpark with the other information. Please add a signature line to your profile with boat model and year and engine. Pictures and a brief description of the boat helps with the history part. I see you have some pictures and noted there's a newer Yanmar in the boat on your profile page which is a good start, but some won't look there first. The more info you give, the better and more accurate the advice is.

c.gustafson

Member II
This will not be much help, but . . . . I have an '87 Ericson 38-200 and recently replaced my throttle and transmission cables. I purchased the cables from Edson (505-995-9711). My cables were 14' (transmission) and 16' (throttle) in length. I have no idea re the length of cables on your sailboat. I got the lengths of my cables by measuring the existing cables. My experience is that replacing the cables is a two-person job. On my sailboat, the cables were held in place by a plastic piece that screws into the pedestal about 2/3 the way up the pedestal. The hardest part of the job -- at least for me -- was getting the plastic piece (with the two cables attached to it) to come out the top of the pedestal. There's just not much room at the top of the pedestal because the wheel shaft is right in the middle and there is little room on either side. I ended up unhooking the chain on the wheel shaft to make the necessary room to remove the plastic part which holds the cables. I tied off each end of the chain, so I didn't accidentally drop the chain down into the pedestal. Replacing the cables was a pain in the ass! Good luck.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Forums. Is your boat a tiller steered model or does it have a wheel? The wheel may have been standard, come to think of it.

Last edited:

Clanum

Welcome to the Forums. Is your boat a tiller steered model or does it have a wheel? The wheel may have been standard, come to think of it.
Wheel steer with just the throttle on the pedestal the gear selector is on the side of the cockpit right above the engine controls