Trans. Access 32-200

newpbs

Member III
I have a 32-200, built in 1988, that is new to me this season. Access to the transmission dip stick/filler seems to be something of a challenge. I've researched the Hurst trans. and understand where the stick is located. I'm a little confused about how to access it. I need to winterize soon here in Michigan.
:esad:

Anyone out there have any specific tricks for servicing the transmission? How do you reach the dip stick? Is there something that needs to be removed first or perhaps a modification that can help me gain access?

Also, any suggestions for winterizing the Universal diesel would be appreciated. This is my first diesel.

I'm sad that the season it over.

Paul

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Do you have the Universal M25? If so, take the hose clamps loose that hold the heat exchanger to its bracket. You don't have to disconnect the hoses to the heat exchanger, just wiggle it or pry it aft. Then you can lift the dipstick straight up between the engine & the exchanger. After you wipe off the dipstick, reinsert it, but don't screw it back down - you check the level with the dipstick on top of the threads, not screwed in. If you need to add fluid, you can probably get a long necked funnel in there. Don't over fill it. Use the right fluid - I think it is Mercon II which is no longer made, but there are equivalents out there. It only holds about 0.4 quarts in total.

To drain it, I cut down a milk carton & slid it underneath. Use absorbent pads (boat diapers?) 'cause it's a messy job.

Good luck,

clayton

Member III
Trans access 32-200

I'm able to check the tranny fluid dipstick by reaching forward from the access panel over the shaft log/packing gland (under the aft cabin berth). It's a pain in the chest, long arms are helpful. Keith's method sounds more comfortable. For winterizing, change the oil and filter, top off the diesel tank or empty it, flush out the raw water with antifreeze, check your coolant/antifreeze. Good luck, hope you're enjoying the boat!
Clayton

newpbs

Member III
Thanks

Thanks much for the information. Your experience will help me to put my "Stella" to bed for the long winter and anticipate the warm winds of next spring. There's nothing like anticipation.:rolleyes:

Paul