trailer- need hull specifications in order to build

John Davey

I am having a trailer built to haul an 1983 Ericson 30+. But I can't seem to fine any specifications on the hull dimensions and recommended load bearing areas for the trailer supports needed for the trailer builder to work off of. The trailer builder does not have access to an Ericson 30+ nor do I.

Does anyone know where I might find such information or have any suggestions?

Thanks from one who is in the process of buying his first sailboat,

John

Steve Swann

Member III
John,

First, I would recommend having a new trailer built for several good reasons, primarily, "new" isn't a rust bucket ready to break, and second, a new one has adjustment options to specifically fit your boat. Usually, a boat trailer manufacturer will build a trailer with adjustable bunks, rollers, and slides. With my boats, each time, we have used a travel lift to set the boat over the trailer and we have adjusted all the new trailer fittings to meet the hull at strategic places, then lowered the weight of the boat onto its new home out of the water.

You will need you basic dimensions such as beam, length, draft, keel configuration, and overall weight. A knowledgeable trailer mfg. will ask you for some additional measurements, mainly pertaining to the keel; perhaps width of the keel, how far back it sets from a specified point forward, the keel's length along the bottom, and so on. It shouldn't be too daunting a task; just bring your checkbook.

I hope this helps a little bit.