Torx screw driver ?

Sven

Seglare
Today I was going to disassemble the chartplotter but when I got ready to crawl around in the lazarettes to pull cables I was stumped by what I assume are Torx screws on the nav pod ? Before I go out and try to find torx drivers, am I right in assuming that those are torx screws and is there more than one standard ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Attachments

• DSC_0853.jpg
    DSC_0853.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0855.jpg
    DSC_0855.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 89

Maine Sail

Member III
They are

They are not Torx, they are called "hex socket pin-head" screws. If you call NavPod they will send you a pin head allen wrench that will fit it Sears may also have them in a screw driver bit set....

Sven

Seglare
They are not Torx, they are called "hex socket pin-head" screws. If you call NavPod they will send you a pin head allen wrench that will fit it Sears may also have them in a screw driver bit set....

I'm glad I asked !

The race is on to find one before next weekend :)

-Sven

Maine Sail

Member III
Sorry, almost forgot, either a 4mm or a 5/32 is the size you need. 4 mm is tight but fits and 5/32 goes in easy..

Oh yeah and once you get them out replace with regular phillips head screws. Anyone who wants your gear can easily find a Navpod wrench, it's you that never can..:)

Meanolddad

Member III
Sven

Harbor Freight will sell you an entire assortment of them for a few dollars. The kit will usually have torx, hex and regular screw driver bits. Once you buy a set you can pretty much open anything.

Greg

Sven

Seglare
Harbor Freight will sell you an entire assortment of them for a few dollars. The kit will usually have torx, hex and regular screw driver bits. Once you buy a set you can pretty much open anything.

That was indeed where we stopped by on the way home tonight. $7.99 for a set of 100 pcs including the two Main Sail said we'd need.

Thanks for all the suggestions from all of you ! I think every answer had a viable solution which certainly ain't bad for 'the net' :egrin:

-Sven