top side reconditioning

kadiver

I have a 1980 e-35. when I bought the boat the top side looked in good shape and was shiney. Over the last two years a majority of the topside has gotten a powdery supstance on it. I have been told and I do not believe its oxidation. I have tried to buff it out, sand it, used some chemicals but nothing seems to work. If I take my fingernail and scrape it, the powder stuff will come off and leave the haul looking shiny. Looking for the best way to clean this stuff off.

Dick Seacup

Fiberglass 'chalks' because the gelcoat used to finish it (and acting as a mold release) doesn't generally hold up to UV very well. It is, indeed, oxidation. You can google "fiberglass chalking" and find a bunch of suggestions on what to do. For boats, the most effective solution seems to be paint, but that is also the most expensive. A couple of years ago, Practical Sailor tested some 'hull restorers', you can get the back article from them. Here is the blurb from that page:

Of the DIY products tested, Poli-Glow, New Glass and Vertglas show the most gloss and last longest. Professionally applied Microshield is even better, but costs more.

Remember when your boat was new? Chances are that if you’ve had it for more than a few years, the once-shiny gelcoat has become dull and, if it were a color other than white, faded and a bit blotchy looking. The past few years have seen a proliferation of products designed to bring back the new, glossy look to weathered topsides. These “hull restorers” are typically more durable than waxes though less durable than a high-quality paint. Most of these products are also less expensive and easier to apply than paint.…

(looks like the article is reprinted here)

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Rubrail?

Does your boat have a white vinyl rubrail? There's numerous threads on the site about them, but they can make your topsides appear chalky.

CSMcKillip

Posted on Saturday, we had a pro do the work, $525.00. This was money well spent if you have ever tried to polish, then wax any boat. Our 33 was way chalky, and very dirty.

63856f9b.jpg

the yard spent two 8hr days working on the topsides, we will see how they hold up to the weather and sun.

de082844.jpg

tilwinter

Member III
Wax

Maine Sail:

Once again you have provided the definitive discourse on a common problem.

I have read everything I can on this subject, and have been using my Makita and the 3M products for years.

My question: do you wax the boat in the fall after haulout, or just once a year in the spring?

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Chris,

They polished it very nicely from what I see in your picture. Have your topsides been painted in the past, or are they gelcoat?

It is interesting to see your sheer stripe is the the same skinny stripe that we have on the hull after yours. It is not the wide stripe like on most Ericsons even though there is a raised form in the hull topsides for that stripe. I always thought a previous owner who painted the topsides painted the skinny stripe. My topsides are paint but I don't know what kind it is.

CSMcKillip

Chris,

They polished it very nicely from what I see in your picture. Have your topsides been painted in the past, or are they gelcoat?

It is interesting to see your sheer stripe is the the same skinny stripe that we have on the hull after yours. It is not the wide stripe like on most Ericsons even though there is a raised form in the hull topsides for that stripe. I always thought a previous owner who painted the topsides painted the skinny stripe. My topsides are paint but I don't know what kind it is.

The boat is still gelcoat, the first time we cleaned the hull it was chalking really bad, we were planning on doing the buffing ourself, but after 2 hours in one spot, rear port side we asked the pro's for advise. When we ran our numbers per what they wanted we really put about $1000.00 in our pockets. The photo was taken last week, and I have talked with the yard and they are planning on launching the boat on Monday. The bottom paint is on, the floor inside is done and the hull is polished and waxed. Here is our main sail, we have all new genoas and a jib, the main is in good+ shape.

I may email you direct, I have some questions reguarding the 33. I am ready to go sailing.

c3e9c0f5.jpg

Last edited: