top side leaks

Don Kerr

Member I
I recently acquired a 1970 E29. After having some engine work done, my next project is to make the top side area watertight. I'm looking for suggestions as to what kind of sealant to use under the stanchions and bow and stern rails anchor points. Glazing (bedding)compund? Silicon Caulk, 3m 5200? The owners manual is pretty clear on the port holes rebedding, but doens't mention the other areas.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Don Kerr
Riviera Beach, MD

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Bedding Deck Hardware

I used the butyl tape for the first time this summer......new deck organizers and rope clutches......so far no leaks......easiest cleanup ever.....so far I am sold.....except for below the waterline I hope never to use either 3M or Boatlife again.....

And......the stuff is very inexpensive, and lasts forever.......once opened a very expensive tube of caulk is good for about six month or less no matter what you do....

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
+1 for butyl tape. I have bedded all deck hardware with it as per Maine Sail's technique. I can't speak to its actual function, but it is really easy to use- way easier to work with than polysulfide.

Bob Cole

Member I
The Maine Sail technique was good but now I can't find it. Was it in projects and is Maine Sail the same as Truenorthmarine. Thanks, I want o reread the technique for thickness, width etc.
Bob

garryh

Member III
just a point of order... 'topsides' is the sides, not the top
"topsides- the upper part of a ship's side, above the waterline"
the 'top' is the deck

adam

Member III
I'm a big fan of butyl tape for deck hardware.

One thing not to overlook if you're trying to make your boat watertight is the hull deck joint. It took me a long time and doing everything else first before I determined that was the source of the worst water intrusion on my E29.

garryh

Member III
totally agree on the butyl, cheap and does what it is supposed to do and you do not end up with goop all over everything you do not want it on ;-|
I do believe however that goop is best in the chainplate cavity through the deck... butyl relies on constant compression for it's seal and you cannot maintain compression in that cavity. Goop of your choice best in this situation imho

eknebel

Member III
another vote for butyl tape

After removing the balsa core around the holes, and filling with colloidal silica and epoxy resin, and then bedding with butyl tape, I have not had leaks for 15 years. when hardware changes occurred, no problem, no cleanup, just put some more tape down.

whatever bedding compound you use, if you don't remove balsa core, and fill with epoxy, when(not if) it leaks, you will incur more deck rot, which is fatal.​

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Butyl is excellent for deck fittings. Been using it all week. Super clean and easy.

As has been pointed out before, there are various specialized goops (Sika, Boatlife, 3M) that (I think) are more appropriate for rebedding portlights, hatch assemblies or hatch lenses, adhering backing plates and other bigger jobs requiring adhesion.

(Maine Sail, I wish you'd go back to letting us order one roll of the stuff (It took me three years to go through one roll). Just charge more per roll!)