Time for Bottom Paint

Sam Vickery

Member III
My diver tells me it is time for bottom paint. The boatyard is telling me two coats on the bottom and three at the water line and leading edge.
Another boatyard is saying one coat on the bottom and two coats at the water line is recommended. What say the experts on the number of coats?

Thanks

Sam
1986 32-3

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Find out the manufacturer of the bottom anti-foul paint...contact them. Perhaps the product used by the two different boatyards are not the same? This is an expensive project and you want the best $$ can purchase!! Also the reviews of the boatyards.

Sam Vickery

Member III
Thanks 1911tex,

Great suggestion. Just checked with Interlux and they are recommending 1 bottom coat for recoat and 2 bottom coats for new. I will be using Interlux Ultra. So one coat it is.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am told that eventually--Covid probably means delays--we will be required to remove all the old copper/toxic bottom paint from our boats for environmental reasons. Another argument for one coat.

My question is: how much bottom paint does my monthly diver remove as he scrubs the hull? And if I have a diver @$40/month, how important is bottom paint anyhow? One of those questions for which an answer requires even more questions...