Tillers...is the 27 the same as the 29's?

sproption

Member II
Hello all.

I am in need of advice. My E-29 tiller cracked at the base. I found the tiller maker in California on this fine forum, but they only have the E-27 tiller. After several phone calls witht he company, H+L Marine, I discovered that my E-29 tiller has a 2.5 inch rise. The sales lady at H+L said the E-27 tiller has a rise of some 5". The model was an "F" series...1157F

Is that true? Do E-27 tillers rise up at 5"?

My tiller is 48" even, with 2"x2" base. The length of the E-27 is 46 3/4". No big deal except for the fitting for my tiller pilot.

Does anyone with an E-29 know if that will work?

Please advise.

Thanks to all

Matt

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Ask H&L to send you their paper catalog. It contains drawings of all their tiller profiles and you'll quickly be able to determine the right model. I believe they have a few tillers in inventory and make whatever they don't have in stock to order every few weeks. They're running an old-school shop there, none of there materials are online and even their employees have just Yahoo email addresses (I dealt with Cora Tinio).

I bought a replacement tiller for my 32 a few months ago, and H&L definitely knows what they're doing. I sent them the dimensions and they prodded me to measure whether the butt of the tiller had a taper - which it did, but I hadn't noticed.

FWIW, my 32's tiller is style E, 47.5" long, 1.25" rise, butt is 1.25" wide by 1.75" high...and the butt width tapers out to 1.5" from 1.25". It was less than $80 delivered (unfinished). The rise is apparently sized to the height of the cockpit seats - too high and it may be difficult to secure the tiller, and will definitely be problematic with your tillerpilot.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Listen to the lady at H and L. These folks are real good at what they do. They got me the right tiller for my E27 which turned out to be from another boat. It fit perfect and replaced what worked for the previous and current owner.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I don't have it here to measure today, but it seems like mine "rises" more than 2.5 inches.... 5 sounds more like it. It's a bit hard to tell, since the bracket has an angle too, but I had it off to refinish last month. I should have checked the forum yesterday when I was on the boat :egrin:

clp

Member III
When you come up with that tiller, I'd like to see a picture of it. I have Edson wheel steering, and no emergency tiller at all. And am going to have to address that issue.