Tiller adjustment on a 1970 E 26?

Ken Neely

My newly acquired 1970 Ericson 26 has an inboard tiller. There's a small amount of play, which I can live with. However, the tiller is offcenter to starboard about five degrees! Does anyone know how this can be adjusted? There are three set screws in the shaft head, a collar the same diameter as the cockpit sole housing. I cannot tell if these screws are through the shaft itself or not; it seems they're threaded through the shaft head, and wouldn't allow for much adjustment.

ANY advice is appreciated.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I have not heard of adjusting the tiller, there is no adjustment on mine.
A few degrees off centre under motor is common since the prop torques the boat. If it is evident under sail on both tacks, some causes can be damage to the rudder (always possible with a 35 year old boat after multiple owners), a misaligned keel (unlikey in an ericson), or very excessive loading imbalance (which should be visible). If there is play, that may also be caused by damage, depending on where the play is.
It is tough to say anything more without seeing things, I think I would start with an underwater inspection.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Ken Neely

Must be the rudder

Underwater inspection revealed the rudder is in fact centered when the tiller is 5 degrees to starboard. Closer examination of the tiller assembly revealed there is no way to adjust that fitting, so I assume the skew must be within the rudder itself! Muscle power wouldn't budge her (thank god); I guess she'll have to come out of the water so I can remove the rudder and remount it on the shaft at the appropriate alignment?

Anyone removed a rudder from its shaft lately?

Thanks for your replies,

Ken
"Potential"