Tie rod interior parts

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Does anyone know what these wooden parts are and if they are removable ? I’m trying to get access to the chain plates without tearing up the headliner .

Attachments

• 3D939888-4311-42EB-A781-E2A565AEDE4D.jpeg
    3D939888-4311-42EB-A781-E2A565AEDE4D.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 13

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Same/similar on our model, Remove the teak plug carefully, unscrew the ss screw that holds each teak trim in place. To really get at the aluminum blocks that capture the top of the interior ss rod you will still probably need to remove 40 staples and temporarily drop the headliner down along one edge.
Some pix of ours in this blog entry: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/gear-removal-progress.786/

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yep. They just cover the slits in the fabric. On mine they had slots cut into them rather than holes drilled through them for the tie rod to go through. Easy enough to re-manufacture if you break one. As Loren said, you will probably need to remove a lot of staples, in order to swing the assembly out from under the side deck. If I remember correctly there was not much clearance on mine even when the tie rod was fully screwed down.

I had so much core damage that I entirely removed the headliner in this area on both side of the deck and replaced in kind with new vinyl after repairing. Getting the new headliner tensioned properly to eliminate wrinkles was a real pain and I wasn't fully successful, so if you can avoid damaging it you'll be ahead of the game. Good luck

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Same/similar on our model, Remove the teak plug carefully, unscrew the ss screw that holds each teak trim in place. To really get at the aluminum blocks that capture the top of the interior ss rod you will still probably need to remove 40 staples and temporarily drop the headliner down.
Some pix of ours in this blog entry: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/gear-removal-progress.786/
Wonder how you got that plug out ? Maybe a small hobby knife ?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Wonder how you got that plug out ? Maybe a small hobby knife ?
A really easy way to remove teak plugs is to use a screw (like maybe a #8?) and just screw it into the center of the plug. When that screw hits the underlying screw covered by the plug it will leverage the plug out.