thru hull head vent...?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
I have read all the threads about heads, holding tanks and Peggy hall but NO one says about replacement of Vent and who makes it. I have found at West Marine a fuel line vent # 138792 that I think might work. Is that what it is?
One of my Sea Scouts took vise grips to it and twisted it off, (old and very bad shape carroided) in to the water it went. Is the one next to it the fuel vent?

Should a person replace both at the same time... knowing they are for two unrelated uses? They other (fuel one) looks much better.

Thanks folks,
Ralph in Nicaragua

TakeFive

Member II
I have read all the threads about heads, holding tanks and Peggy hall but NO one says about replacement of Vent and who makes it. I have found at West Marine a fuel line vent # 138792 that I think might work. Is that what it is?
One of my Sea Scouts took vise grips to it and twisted it off, (old and very bad shape carroided) in to the water it went. Is the one next to it the fuel vent?
Should a person replace both at the same time... knowing they are for two unrelated uses? They other (fuel one) looks much better.
Thanks folks,
Ralph in Nicaragua

One "looks" much better? Is the mesh bright and shiney or green and corroded? If one was corroded I would be tempted to perform some preventative maintenance and replace them both. After all it is a boat and you are obligated to spend every cent you have on it.

If money or availability is an issue take the end of a screw driver and whack the vent a couple of times. If it doesn't break it's not going to as long as you keep your scouts away from it. If it breaks and the end of the hose falls below the level of the fuel in the tank your sea scouts may get a lesson in an environmental cleanup of the bilges. (Note: if the vent hose is long enough cut off the last inch or so before installing on vent. Hose can become cracked after spending it's lifetime underneath a tight hose clamp.)

-Garrett