Throttle backwards

pick

Member II
I've just installed a Beta 25 in Magic. The only problem is that to make it go fast you pull back on the throttle and push forward to slow it down. This is counter-intuitive to me and I was wondering if anyone has developed an simple, elegant solution to this. I guess I need to put some type of reverse bell crank in but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done so.

Mike

Glyn Judson

Getting throttled the right way.

Mike, Email me back channel and I'll send you a couple of very simple and clear photos of the throttle reverser I made and put on my engine. They're simple to make and work like a charm. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA glynjudson@roadrunner.com

Guy Stevens

You may be able to fix it in the binacle

Most of the throttle mechanisms, and definitely the Yacht Specialties pedestals have a mechanism for this, just reverse the lever on the inside of the binnacle, or switch the throttle mechanism around so that it works in the opposite way. (you will have to look at it and reason it out, but we have done it on a lot of boats.

Most of the manuals are available for even the old throttle controls, grab the book and you will see the changes that you need to make.

For example my boat was driven around for years with the throttle going backwards by the previous owner, took me 10 minutes and a set of screw drivers to fix the problem. Which I did the day we took ownership of the boat. I knew that I was going to run into something with it functioning like that!

Guy
:)

pick

Member II
Thanks, I'll look in the pedestal again. At first glance it seemed like the sprocket was in the way.

Mike

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Factory Setting?

My throttle is configured the same "backwards" way and thought mine was an anomoly. So now I am wondering if this is how they were configured out of the factory and if so was there a reason? I have gotten used to it since my only previous experience was with a small ski boat many years ago.

Glyn Judson

Reverse throttle.

Todd, That's all well and good until someone else is at the helm and in a panic situation, moves the throttle arm in the wrong direction. You really should consider reversing that action. Glyn

TRMN8R

Member II
You get used to it, I did................just like going from early Brit motorcycles to current models with clutch same side as shift, etc.................after awhile, you don't think about it!:egrin:

Throttle and gear shift backwards on Beta engine

I have same issue on a beta 16 I installed, with both throttle and gear shift. Gear shift arm on the engine can be rotated, but when rotated 180 degrees interferes with with mount or something. The gear shift is worse than the throttle in terms of causing errors.... son already rammed the dock.

The YS throttle arm can be rotated. The YS shift arm cannot. Thinking about trying to design a pivot arm of some type to mount above transmission. Any suggestions welcome.

Herbie

It does not seem counter-intuitive to me. On most diesel powered farm tractors and heavy construction equipment you pull the throttle towards you to go faster. Change it around and the boat will be on the dock and I will be in the rigging:rolleyes:

Emerald

It's always made sense to me also. I think if I'm falling down and hit the thing or even just make a reflexive grab for some reason, I want it to slow down not speed up, which I think it does if you "throttle down" to slow down.

Thrust Reverser

Love all the responses..... but the goal was how to fix.. not debate whether to fix. Personally, I agree, can live w throttle... but the transmission shifting, no way. Found this link on same subject with a nice throttle reverser on a Beta 902. Wonder if that bracket and arm are a Beta accessory that can just be ordered? Same thread had pics of earlier suggestion from Glyn.... neat if you have room, I don't. On either throttle or transmission - suspect Mike doesn't either.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...ckwards!&p=48600&highlight=reverser#post48600

Thanks!

TS Farley

Member II
Throttle and Gear Shift Backwards on Betamarine

Hi all. Fred, if you come up with a solution for reversing the shift direction, I'd love to hear it. I am replacing my Westerbeke 25 with a Betamarine 30 next week in my Ericson 35. I'm hoping to use Glyn's slick fix for the throttle. Thanks Glyn!