Throttle and Clutch Cable for an E32-2

photobug

Member II
I am going down to tackle the throttle and clutch cables on my Ericson 32-2 with Atomic 4 tomorrow. I have read a few other forum threads about other ericsons on here so I have an idea what i am getting in to. Anyone have any advice or thread suggestions on the 32-2 that may help me tomorrow. Specifically the cable lengths or part #s.

It would be nice to show up the boat with parts in hand. If I am to pull some runners when removing my old cables what material should i use?

Thanks in advance.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
These are probably special order parts and you're going to want to have the old ones in hand as you determine exactly what to replace them with. The transmission cable is much heavier than the throttle cable so will be significantly more $$$ than the others. My 32 has a v-drive so the Morse part it required might be different from yours if you have the more common straight transmission (and I don't have the part number on hand since replacing it in 1993!). Moyermarine seems to have throttle and choke cables in stock.

photobug

Member II
I now have both sides of the throttle cable freed.
But can not get it to slide out of the binacle.
Is it attached somewhere in the binacle so I have to remove binacle to free it?

photobug

Member II
If you have control levers, yes, they are attached to the cables.

This may apply, or at least suggest something:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-Specialties-Pedestal-Disassembly-with-Photos

Thank you Christian that helps a whole lot. Although I think the layers of my binnacle are different. I had removed the compass and first layer of the top of the binnacle figured I could get the next layer off and then be able to reach the bolts mounting onto the bracket that secures the top of the cables. One screw was badly stripped already and I did not have the tools on hand to deal with it. I sprayed some penetrating oil and I will go back tomorrow to try my luck again.

If I am only replacing the two cables do I need to drop the steering chain and remove the whole binnacle?

I am hoping tomorrow when I get down one more layer from the top of the binnacle I can remove the bolt holding the bracket and slide the whole thing out bracket and cable which have all be released from the other end. I have a chaser line on it and will be pulling some paracord with the removal of the cable to then pull the new cable back along the same route.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No need to mess with the chain for this job.

There are threads here on stubborn fasteners, which are usually the challenge. PB Blaster, big screwdrivers, wrench handle extensions, heat, patience, impact driver, screw remover tools, drill it out and so on.

If you hit a particular snag, somebody here will have the solution.

ChrisS

Member III
Use this link

I replaced the shifter cable last winter (actually started the job, broke my leg skiing in January, and then finished in April). My friend and dockmate Greg posted the place to source the shifter cable here:

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434

I used the same place in the link. Was the cheapest I could find: $155 shipped from NJ. Don't know the throttle # part, but it may be printed on the cable.

The impact driver and but a butane torch was invaluable to getting the binnacle apart.

Used McLube on all bearing surfaces in the shifter levers and Tef Gel on the fasteners. I also made a cork gasket for the space between the compass housing and aluminum pedestal.

The job took some time but shifting is now very smooth.

photobug

Member II
No need to mess with the chain for this job.

There are threads here on stubborn fasteners, which are usually the challenge. PB Blaster, big screwdrivers, wrench handle extensions, heat, patience, impact driver, screw remover tools, drill it out and so on.

If you hit a particular snag, somebody here will have the solution.

That is why I quit yesterday. Going back tomorrow with my drill, torch, impact driver and a aero kroil. I learned how to remove rusted items when removing rotors from my Honda years ago. It took two days and all the anger I had. Hopefully the binnacle goes easier.