threading the main halyard through the mast on E25+

Alaska sailor

I have had the mast down on my E25+ and am installing new standing and running rigging. We are adding wires for an anchor light which it did not have. The main halyard that was there ran into the mast from the back then came around some bolts in the mast high up to run more to the front (or perhaps middle of the mast) before going to the sheave and exiting out the back. Is there a need for this going around the bolt and changing direction? The person helping me has recommended that we just run the main along the backside of the mast (on one side only, not making this turn at the bolt) and the wires (anchor light and antenna cable wire) down the front side of the mast to keep them separated. So, we have put things in the mast that way but before we raise the mast I wanted to check here to see if we are missing something and whether it might be important to rig the main halyard around that bolt that way. Thanks for your thoughts.

Alaska sailor
Alula

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
In general

I don't know the details of the E25+ rig, but as a long-ago rigger, "in general" you don't want halyards to be rubbing against anything inside the mast. Should be a straight, smooth line from the inside of the sheave at the top, to the exit at the bottom. For sure, "going around bolts" should be avoided if possible.

One way to check, while you've got the rig out of the boat, is to pull the halyard as taut as you can get it and look up from the base of the mast with a flashight.