Thoughts for Prospective E-30 buyer?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've always been impressed with what I've read about Ericson yachts construction and designs, and recently a couple friends and I have come across an E-30 (the original model, not the 30+) and we're going to go take a look at it.

What do you folks think about the E-30 as far as functionality, sailing characteristics, and durability? What are known weak spots to look for when inspecting one of these? What do E-30 owners like or dislike about their boats?

We're looking for a seaworthy coastal and near-offshore cruiser, with stability, but a decent turn of speed (able to make progress upwind offshore). Another very important factor for us is having a boat that's built with quality components, that are serviceable by a couple handy guys, since we do just about all our own boat work.

Thanks for your input.

Nate

Ericson 30

I have been the owner of an Ericson 30-1 since Sunday. Mine is battered and has been abused. In fact she was left to her own devices since Hurricane Ivan last September. Once I get the rudder and steering assembly working the boat can sail....running rigging is fine--hull is watertight. There is a soft spot on the foredeck, but looks like old damage poorly repaired. The engine has been removed, but I plan to get a diesel. My point is....if the boat could go through nearly a year abandoned on a mudbank, she's pretty tough. I have always heard good things about these boats and I am impressed with mine. Look forward to her restoration process and going sailing for many years with her. I highly recommend this model boat. If you would like to see a picture, let me know. Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited: