Thinking of Spring!

Stuphoto

Member III
It's tough building a large enough darkroom for LF photography on our boats, yet we would hardly notice some photo printers tucked in the corner.

I am thinking of light proofing my boat, so I can at least develop my film and make contact prints.
Or better yet, try Tintype.

Chschaus

"Voila"
It's tough building a large enough darkroom for LF photography on our boats, yet we would hardly notice some photo printers tucked in the corner.

I am thinking of light proofing my boat, so I can at least develop my film and make contact prints.
Or better yet, try Tintype.
Yeah, I spent more than enough time in a darkroom with chemicals, I'm all done wit that. Think I'll stick to just sailing.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Digital really changed the commercial Photo industry, didn't it? Did studio product photography and processing for 30+ yrs my old Business partner longer than that. While we both adapted and transitioned to digital the entire industry just no longer was what we knew, as far as processing that is just gone. It was a blast while it lasted however.
I was fortunate enough to start my career during the "golden age" of commercial photography or at least I thought it was back then. You could make a very good living, which I did, shooting with large format cameras that produced high resolution images. When digital happened I saw the potential of a quick turn around (no film processing) for clients and the elimination of "color separations. When was the last time you heard those words? Anyway, digital was slow to kick off in my area (south central PA) because clients (and most old style photographers) were ignorant of it's potential and advantages. I was maybe the first in my area to offer digital and it was a teaching process for me having to prove the quality and advantage of digital to my clients but they came around too love it. From there things just took off but now, with a camera in everyone's pocket (cell phones) and advance software so the ordinary person can produce a decent looking image be it a very small one, everyone thinks they're a great photographer. But enlarge those images up and they are loaded with problems but no one enlarges images any longer they just post them in their social media pages. I retired about five years ago and I'm glad cause the business in not what it was, full of opportunities. Now I just work on producing fine art photography, selling some for stock and prints, and the rest of my time sailing, talking about sailing, dreaming about sailing and boring land lovers with my stories about sailing. ;)

Stuphoto

Member III
I haven't actually shot a traditional photo in well over a year partly because I need to move my darkroom and I haven't found any place on Hornby with 9' ceilings for my Durst 1840 enlarger.

During that time I have made 1 traditional skin on frame kayak and restored 1.
They both draw big crowds wherever I go, and some people appear to have deep pockets wanting one.
It actually gets annoying when you just want a quiet evening out paddling.

So I think I will explore that direction and see where it takes me.
My next boat will most likely be a 12' or so sof' sailing dingy.