Thinking of changing Main Sheet Configuration on our EY 30+

Ben Bosher

We own a 1984 Ericson 30+ that we sail and race on Lake Champlain. As you are aware, the main sheet has a 4 or 5 to 1 ratio using several blocks and pulleys as it traces its way toward the mast plate before reversing direction back to the cockpit. There is added friction going through all these extra pulleys and a 180 degree direction change.
I am thinking of purchasing a three-sheave block with becket and cam-cleat to eliminate the main sheet line taking the current circuitous route. I’ve searched the forum pages looking for an Ericson owner who has made this change but without success.
I want to learn all the pros and cons of making such a change and any additional hardware required for before investing in the material needed to make this alteration.
Also, I’ve seen this more direct mainsheet arrangement on a Catalina 30.
Ben Bosher
Ben@groupbenefitsvermont.com

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Ben, I have observed many Ericson's with (OEM) solid axle blocks, and even our O-34 had only ball bearing Harken blocks for its main sheet. I have changed out all of the other original blocks for new ball bearing blocks, over the decades. Now, even my halyard organizers are ball bearing.

Even when new, your sheaves were not as low friction as ones would have been with ball (or roller) bearings. I would suggest, as budget permits, replacing them with Garhauer or Harken blocks and reducing friction.

Also, it's not uncommon for prior owners to oversize the sheet, and this can lead to sheet friction against the cheeks.
In order to bring the load back down the cabin top from the mast, that sheet has to make a lot of turns, and every turn adds some small (but accumulating) amount of drag.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 30+ pic at sailboatdata shows this setup.

It seems to me that the only excuse for leading the mainsheet up to the mast and back to the cockpit is so it can go on a winch, or maybe because a cabin-house traveler is an awkward pull.

With traveler on bridge deck I'd want direct. If racing, maybe a dual system with one cam for gross and one cam for fine tuning, like we had on the Soling.

30 Capture.JPG

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Ben,
Some E30+ have the traveler on the bridge in front of the companionway entrance, others have it on the cabin top in front of the dodger. Knowing which one you have may get you more helpful replies.
Frank

Ben Bosher

Hi Ben, I have observed many Ericson's with (OEM) solid axle blocks, and even our O-34 had only ball bearing Harken blocks for its main sheet. I have changed out all of the other original blocks for new ball bearing blocks, over the decades. Now, even my halyard organizers are ball bearing.

Even when new, your sheaves were not as low friction as ones would have been with ball (or roller) bearings. I would suggest, as budget permits, replacing them with Garhauer or Harken blocks and reducing friction.

Also, it's not uncommon for prior owners to oversize the sheet, and this can lead to sheet friction against the cheeks.
In order to bring the load back down the cabin top from the mast, that sheet has to make a lot of turns, and every turn adds some small (but accumulating) amount of drag.
Thank you, Loren, for those tips. I’ve upgraded many of the blocks and pulleys but will need to check them all this spring when the boat is uncovered to see if they are all low friction.
Regarding going to a thinner main sheet, two seasons ago I replaced the 7/16 or 1/2” line for the main sheet with 3/8”. This helped to reduce a some of the friction such that in winds over say 8 to 10 knots, the main will spill out on its own on a downwind leg. That’s an improvement whereas before, a crew member would have to lean into the boom to get the main to open up.
Ben

Ben Bosher

Ben,
Some E30+ have the traveler on the bridge in front of the companionway entrance, others have it on the cabin top in front of the dodger. Knowing which one you have may get you more helpful replies.
Frank
This Ericson 30+ has the traveler on the cabin roof. With that elevated perch, a crew member may have difficulty uncreating the line from the cam cleat on the three-sheave block in heavy air. This is somewhat true with the traveler lines and those cam cleats at each end of the traveler due to the poor angle. I’ll take this into consideration as another respondent suggested.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
My 30+ main sheet/traveler is on the the bridge deck and I have 6 to 1 ratio. It's already in the cockpit so no added "circuitous route" needed. As Loren said you need some ball bearing blocks and possibly bump up the ratio a couple clicks by adding double or triple blocks. A picture of your current rig would help.