Things to look for in Ericson 25 survey

rhoehn

I'm fairly new to sailing and decided to make an offer on an Ericson 25' after many months of looking. The survey and test sail is this thursday and I'm wondering if anyone could give me advice on things to look out for during the survey. Thanks!

Rob Hoehn

Bob in Va

Member III
E25 issuess

They are good boats, solidly built, but the surveyor will check the standard stuff that needs to be examined on all glass boats with some age. If it is a centerboard model, something that is hard to check, even with the boat out of the water, is the condition of the pin bushing in the board itself. It is located very close to the edge of the board, and if there has been any water intrusion, the steel spine of the board will rust and weaken. Look for cracks or breaks in the fiberglass covering the board in that area if the boat has been pulled. A friend of mine left his in the water for a number of years, sold it to another guy, and learned only later that it had extensive blisters below the waterline. Big buck yard repair.

rhoehn

Ericson Survey

It is a centerboard model. I've heard from a few people that the centerboard and the bushing are big things to check. Thanks for the help!!!

Rob Hoehn

Brian Lowman

Member II
I just bought a beautiful '73 25 Ericson and a few things you might want to add to your list,

The mast step condition,
The centerboard lifting tackle,
The stern (transom) if outboard powered,
The chainpates and bulkhead under them,
The ports and windows for leakage,
The battery platform,
The anchor storage area for damage,
The grounding cables,
The sink drain,
The deck under the stanchions.

A good surveyor will should catch all of these, but they are items that could cause you expense/time getting repaired.

I hope you find the 25 in good enough condition to purchase as they are great little boats and will designed and constructed.

Brian Lowman
S/V Gypsy Rose

rhoehn

Ericson Survey

Thanks Brian - I'll add those things to my list. 73' Ericson eh? That is exactly the yesr of this one as well!

Rob Hoehn

Brian Lowman

Member II
Rob,

I really like my '73 Ericson (as you might have guessed) and it is a great example of how a well built boat can last a longggggg time. I am retired and my wife and I plan on sailing mine for many more years as she is the perfect boat for my area.

When I first looked at mine (it was on a trailer) I thought it was maybe 15 years old. The bottom was true, the hull to deck joint sollid, and everything in used but very good condition. They used a lot of fiber glass in the hull in '73, so it is good and solid.

The Bruce King hull design is a real treat too. She gildes through the water as if she were a part of it. Her shallow draft lets me stay safely in 2-3 feet of water and all of her systems are easily accessible (except the fresh water tank- I forgot to mention that, but I don't use it on my boat).

If you enjoy the 'maintenance' part of boat ownership as I do, not only sailing but also keeping your E25 in 'bristol condition' is a lot of fun.

Brian Lowman
S/V Gypsy Rose

Bob in Va

Member III
E25 centerboard

Rob, by the way, if you find you do need to replace the centerboard let me know as I am building some for the E23 and E25 and can give you some details.

rhoehn

E25

Brian,
Yes, when I first looked at this Ericson, I didn't believe that it is a 73! The interior and exterior is pristine (we'll find out about the hull today)! The boat has been well cared for, so I'm pretty lucky.

Rob Hoehn

rhoehn

Ericson 25 - Survey: PASSED!

Well everyone, thanks again for your advice. The Ericson survey went just fine and the test sail was perfect!

I did pay careful attention to all the things that everyone mentioned - even handed the list of items to check from you guys to the surveyor!

The holding tank turned out to be a weird setup as well as the freshwater tank. I'm sure I'll be talking to you all soonafter on re-engineering this! Thanks again!

Rob Hoehn

PS - Oh yeah, I bought it!

Steve Swann

Member III
Ericson 25

Rob,

Just saw your questions about purchasing an Ericson 25. My wife and I just purchased a 1977 trailerable E-25 ourselves. Good luck with a great boat.

Steve

rhoehn

Steve,
Congrats! We just took ours out for a sail this past weekend. Went perfectly. Still gotta fix the through hull valve for the sink and replace the seals on the head - then it'll be in perfect shape!

Rob

Steve Swann

Member III
Rob,

Thanks for the nice reply. Together, we might get a chance to let the boats sniff and get acquainted with each other next year up in your area. Have Trailer, Will Travel. Will keep you posted as next summer gets closer.

Steve