The Dana 24--at 6.8 knots in adverse current

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
[FONT=&quot]This is a Practical Sailor review of the Dana 24, which has a waterline length of 21.42 feet.
Do we believe these performance numbers? If so, how are they possible for a displacement boat given the theoretical waterline length limitation?

Performance

We sailed the sloop-rigged test boat under full main and 110% jib on a chilly San Francisco day in blustery conditions, and were impressed with the performance and seakindly motion of the boat. A Kestrel windspeed instrument registered 12-15 knots of wind.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The GPS registered boatspeed at 5.7 to 5.9 knots over the ground as we sailed close-hauled with sheets barely started. As we hardened up farther, moving the traveler up and trimming the jib board-flat, we heeled to 20 degrees. Speed held at 5.2 to 5.4 knots, but she was not comfortable and we were sliding to leeward.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We eased sheets and saw speed reach 6.8 knots over the ground while sailing into a flooding current on a broad reach in 13.5 knots of breeze. The boat felt lively, and responded quickly to each movement of the tille[/FONT]

supersailor

Contributing Partner
They are, of course jokeing. I don't think these things are capable of 6.5kn in any conditions and going to windward is best accomplished with the iron wind.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seems a bit over-enthusiastic

I stopped my PS subscription many years ago. I found their opinions were often kind of subjective and not well enough researched.
In this case, If the reviewer truly believes what he wrote, he must also explain, in a side bar, how his data can contradict "common sense" and laws of physics.

I have no problem believing that the Dana can do 6 or a bit more on a reach, but it has a shorter rig and lots of interior volume working against any sort of real speed.

In a decade of cruising and a couple of racing seasons, I know that our Niagara 26 could maintain 6.2 to weather and could hold 8 kts off the wind in a breeze. But it was a 'MORC derived" hull form and weighed 4K. It was also 26' 8" long and had a fairly flat run aft for a goodly amount of water line when under way.
The Dana 24 has more interior room than my Niagara and I do love the salty looks of the Dana.... but would never expect as much speed as the author claims.

There is also a fatal error in their data gathering. GPS "SOG" proves little or nothing.
I recall that some years ago such a test always involved clipping a speed transducer to the transom and recording actual hull speed on a calibrated instrument.

It's a good thing that all Ericson's can exceed ten knots almost all the time on all points of sail, according to the objective owners! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
GPS "SOG" proves little or nothing

Yes, I was astonished to see that, especially in a local environment with currents. The review was in 2001, back when PS had a reputation for, I don't know, at least "not subject to advertising pressures."