Tef-Gel Question

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I bought a small tube of this (not cheap!) for use when replacing some boom hardware, but haven't used it yet. Does it dry after application or does it remain wet or does it do something in between. The label indicates that it can be painted over.

The pop rivets that held the fittings to the boom for the lazy jacks had some kind of waxy substance on them that was still sticky. It seemed to have worked well as there was no corrosion between the stainless steel fittings and the aluminum rivets. I'm wondering what that substance might be.

Could the Tef-Gel be used on the rivets?

Maine Sail

Member III
It stays sticky but does get a little "thicker" with time but it never hardens, at least not in the 8 or 10 years I've been using it. Use it where ever you have dissimilar metals contacting each other. It does really work well..

Guy Stevens

Or Dolphinite!

So what did it smell like? Really?

Sheep sweat= Lanocote = a must hard on the nose kind of smell always kind of beige

Tef Gell= No smell, but in trying to smell it you probably stuck it to the end of your nose, now it won't come off. (Use Mineral Spirits!)

Dolphonite= Kind of a slightly chemical smell, most likely darker beige in color, seems sticky in patches.

Guy
:)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Guy, what's the difference in use?

Guy,
Thanks for the helpful descriptions. Can you explain how each of these products is best used--ie. which is best for what, or are they pretty much interchangeable?
Thanks!
Frank

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Didn't think to smell it.

It is kind of clear (more translucent) and yellowish. The best description I can come up with is "waxy, but not hard like a candle, and a little sticky."

The original screws that held the gooseneck and outhaul fittings had a black substance on them.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Got a small tub of Lanocote from Defender last week. It's kind of a solid substance; I was expecting it to be goopy. I thought I would be dipping rivets and screws into it. How is it generally used to get complete coverage on a part?

I've seen it in spray bottles but can't imagine how that would work at all...

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I find the lanocote to be too solid many times. Leave it laying out in the sun for half an hour & it softens up. Then just goop it on the threads.