Teak veneer plywood

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Thinking about replacing the panel where my CD player is mounted above the chart table. Where are you guys buying your teak plywood from?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I get mine from Boulter Plywood in Mass. How much do you need? I have some 1/2 teak plywood scraps you can have for the cost of shipping.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
It would need to be at least 30" x 8" and the grain would have to run horizontally along the long dimension. Having the edges square would be a plus since I don't have a table saw to rip it; but I can use a jiq saw with a straight edge fence if I have to.

The actual finished dimensions are more like 28" x 7.125", but the ends are not quite square for some reason. As long as I can get that dimension out of the uncut board and the grain is going the right way I would be good.

If you have something like that I would pay UPS ground shipping. I am in Bakersfield, CA.

Here is a pic of the panel I am replacing:

Attachments

• Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 276

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Mark, I am currently traveling on business and will not be home until Thursday evening. I might have what you need. I do not remember which way the grain runs. I have a table saw so if you can get me the exact dimensions I will cut it to size.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Judging by the panel that I removed, there will probably be some "finessing" of the final dimensions upon installation. So if you have a 30" x 8" piece that would give me a little slop to play with. No need to cut to final size; if one long side is ripped straight that will give me a baseline to work from. (But again, not absolutely necessary.)

I've been searching the internet for teak plywood and have discovered that if I am not buying at least a half-sheet I am probably going to be out of luck!

Let me know what you have when you get back. Thanks!

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Rats. Well, I am in the process of patching up and refinishing the existing panel and it looks like it will be OK. Thanks for the offer though!

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Teak panal

Hi ! for what it's worth I replaced that same panel last year on my E 30+
with mahogany, stained it with teak stain and it matched beautifully:egrin:

Chas on
" Eden" E 30+ # 720 sailing out of Victoria B.C.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Well, teak or mahogany, either way, getting less than a half sheet looks like it is going to be problematic...unless I can find a local source or a local cabinet maker that has something he would sell me...

westcoastcat

Member II
Mark
I have several sheets of mahogany veneer I would give you a piece large enough if you could pick it up from me at my dock at Vintage this weekend, I don't want to ship it. I used this on my last boat and was able to glue it to regular marine grade plywood using w.p. glue and a sheet of glass over the top - works great, let me know if you're interested. I'll be at my boat stepping the mast this weekend.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Thanks! I will be down Friday night and could pick it up any time Saturday or Sunday.

My dad used to use a lot of veneer for furniture making and I remember he used a clamping system that consisted of several wood beams that would sandwich a heavy piece of plywood down on the veneer and the wood it was being glued to. You didn't get any bubbles in the veneer just using a piece of glass to hold it down?

I'll email you separately to get your phone number.

Thanks again!

stuartm80127

Member II
do you really need teak verneer plywood? would a teak board at 1/o2 inch thickness work? grain would run length of board.check out http:/marine-plywood.us. i bought a bunch of teak from them and was very satisfied.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Looks like it will; going to find out if the panel fits this weekend. I had to glue the veneer to another piece of plywood which made the new panel slightly thicker than the original. It has to fit between a couple of other pieces of existing trim and hopefully the extra thickness won't be a problem. The color looks great. It should match perfectly.

Thanks again!

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I've got a couple scraps of 1/2" teak veneer ply. 1 piece is about
12"X 48". Ought to work for what you want.

Martin

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Thanks for the offer. I worked with the piece I made over the weekend and it looks like it is going to be fine. If I run into any problems I may take you up on it though!

Trying to match the color was interesting. I tried several mixtures of stain on some small scrap pieces of teak and found it very hard to get what looks like a "golden/yellow/orange/brown" tone like the original finish. But with the mahogany veneer (African mahogany, I believe), even with just varnish and no stain at all, it matches almost exactly. This leads me to think that what is in the boat is mahogany, not teak. The grain in the original wood also looks more like mahogany than teak.